No Need for Netflix on WMC 7

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
coxie2

HTPC Specs: Show details

No Need for Netflix on WMC 7

Post by coxie2 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:36 am

I have recently added a Rosewill RHRC-11002 remote to my MC 7 computer. The remote works fine and controls all that I need it to, however, every time I start WMC an opening screen comes up wanting me to install Netflix app. I can hit the back button and WMC starts fine. I have no need of adding the Netflix app to WMC as I have Netflix on the Roku, which works fine. I only use WMC for OTA viewing and recording every now and again. Prior to using the Rosewill, WMC started up fine with no mention of Netflix (using mouse control). I have not used the installation disc that came with the Rosewill as my Win 7 machine installed all the drivers once the USB dongle (receiver) was plugged in. Is there anyway to eliminate or delete the Netflix app from asking to be installed ? Should I install software from the disc since the remote is working as I need it to (less the Netflix pain) ?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed May 21, 2014 3:56 pm

In the Rosewill software (you may need to install it), there is an option to make the Start button either launch Netflix or start WMC. Sounds, like it's in Netflix mode at the moment. So I'd install, change that option, then uninstall.

coxie2

Post by coxie2 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:24 am

Thanks mdavej but unfortunately this did not work. I called Rosewill and was told that in WIN 7, the software on the disc will not be needed as win 7 has the drivers preloaded. I did try to install the disc and received an error stating power config could not be be ran. It actually asked if I was running Win 7 or Vista. Not sure why it would not install on a Win 7 machine. The strange thing is that I can remove the dongle and start MCE with the mouse and all is fine, as soon as I try after plugging in the dongle and using the remote, the Netflix install screen comes back up. And I can start MCE, with the mouse and dongle plugged in, and no problems. So that tells me that the problem is coming from the remote / dongle combination to which Rosewill had no answer. When I did try to install the Netflix program, the first thing it asked was for me to join or log in to which I have no intention of doing. I may try to add the MCE controls to my 5 device RCA smart remote and see if that resolves the problem.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 27, 2014 3:35 am

Hmm... I have exactly the same remote and dongle. The software from the CD isn't just for the driver. It installs another app that controls whether it tries to launch Netflix or not with the start button. That app isn't built into windows and won't handle the start button properly without it. If you can ever get that installed and config the start button, it should do the trick. You can probably remove the app after it's set up. Other remotes will work exactly the same as the Rosewill.

Good luck

coxie2

Post by coxie2 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:56 am

Would it matter if the Win 7 is OEM (which it is) ? Rosewill seemed to think that might be part of the problem ?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 am

They're clueless. You need to do what I said or get a different dongle. I don't know what else to say.