WMC not displaying live TV on startup

HBGDawg

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC not displaying live TV on startup

Post by HBGDawg » Sun May 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Whenever I start WMC, I get the dreaded message "Display driver error The video playback device does not support playback of protected content." Usually, either going to the guide several times or stopping/re-starting WMC allows me to view channels. It doesn't seem to matter if it is a SDV channel or a regular encrypted channel. I have checked copy protection and that does not appear to be it. I am not starting WMC cold, just turning the TV on, but I think WMC is entering into Away mode. I am wondering if the Ceton Infinitv is going dormant somehow and the tuner simply hasn't had time to re-establish the channels. Although I have tried leaving it alone for several minutes and it doesn't tune into a channel, I have to do some of the actions above. Any ideas?

I have considered switching out the Infivitv 4 for a HDHRP and seeing if that made a difference.

WMC7
Ceton Infinitv 4 (not the beta drivers)
Time Warner Cable with cablecard and SDV adapter

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 am

First off, make sure that your display device supports HDCP. Secondly, set the Control Panel -> Sound applet so that Windows uses 2 channel stereo, and then go through the "Setup your speakers" wizard in Media Center and choose 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround. If those don't solve your problem, then you may have an HDMI handshake issue. If that's the case, report back here for help.

HBGDawg

Post by HBGDawg » Tue May 13, 2014 2:09 am

My TV is a Panasonic TH-46PZ85U and I can't find anything on the web that specifically says it is or isn't HDCP compliant. However, the behavior I am seeing is that when turning on the TV, I get the aforementioned message, but when I restart WMC I get the picture until I shut off the TV and restart the next day. Seems like it is wasn't HDCP compliant I wouldn't ever be able to see the channel wouldn't it?

Interesting development, I connect an OTA antenna via an Hauppage 850 and WMC configured correctly to allow me to see the dozen or so extra channels. I left it on one of the OTA channels, and when starting the TV the next morning, the channel was playing successfully, no message. However, when I tuned to any another channel (encrypted), I get the no available tuners message. I had to reboot the PC (not just WMC) to clear it up.

Any ideas?

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:46 am

HBGDawg wrote:My TV is a Panasonic TH-46PZ85U and I can't find anything on the web that specifically says it is or isn't HDCP compliant.
I have the TH-42PX80U, I believe the preceding model line. Yours should be HDCP compliant.
HBGDawg wrote:Interesting development, I connect an OTA antenna via an Hauppage 850 and WMC configured correctly to allow me to see the dozen or so extra channels. I left it on one of the OTA channels, and when starting the TV the next morning, the channel was playing successfully, no message. However, when I tuned to any another channel (encrypted), I get the no available tuners message. I had to reboot the PC (not just WMC) to clear it up.
Are you leaving WMC tuned to a channel and turning off your display? This will almost certainly cause the handshake issue Barnabas mentioned. You may be able to get around this with any one of a number of things:

* Stop watching Live/Recorded TV in WMC, then turn off your display
* Insert an HDMI switcher between your HTPC and TV. The HTPC will then think the TV is always on, as it reads the EDID and signal info from the changer
* Have your remote turn off the devices in the chain in a particular order (if applicable)
* Use the HDMI passthrough option on your AVR (if applicable)

What is the chain of connection(s) from your HTPC to the TV? (A/V receiver in the mix, etc.)

Did you set the audio options as Barnabas mentioned?

HBGDawg

Post by HBGDawg » Tue May 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Yes, I have been leaving the channel tuned to something and then turning off the display. I have a Harmony remote, so I can program it to go to main menu and then power off the TV. I'll give that a try.

The TV is directly connected to my WMC PC using an HDMI cable. No AVR or anything else in between.

In regards to setting the audio options, my PC has Realtek HD Audio so I set it to 2 channel. I don't see anything in Control Panel -> Sounds that lets me set it to stereo. I have set WMC to 5.1

Thanks for the help!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:45 pm

2 channel is the same thing as stereo. Configure your remote to send the STOP command before turning off the TV. If that doesn't help, then the HDMI switch thing works for some people. There are other options too, which involve some software to force an HDMI handshake.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Configure your remote to send the STOP command before turning off the TV.
Yup, that's what I have mine do (actually, Stop -> Pause .5 sec -> Stop (just in case) -> Pause .5 sec -> Turn TV and AVR off). Haven't had any handshaking problems with this setup.

HBGDawg

Post by HBGDawg » Wed May 14, 2014 12:28 pm

I tried last night stopping WMC before turning off the TV and everything seemed to work OK. Overnight shows were recorded and WMC started fine and all tuners/channels were available. Seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks to everyone for the support. I'll post back if any problems.

On a different note, I have a Harmony 620 and can't figure out how to program the Off button that is used to power down devices. I want to program it to STOP WMC before turning off the TV. I looked inside the PC tool used to configure Harmony and it doesn't give me the option of programming that button. Should I just select a different button or is there some magic I am missing?

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:04 pm

HBGDawg wrote:On a different note, I have a Harmony 620 and can't figure out how to program the Off button that is used to power down devices. I want to program it to STOP WMC before turning off the TV. I looked inside the PC tool used to configure Harmony and it doesn't give me the option of programming that button. Should I just select a different button or is there some magic I am missing?
You don't program the Off button directly, you add items to the activity under "When Activity Ends" or something similar, don't have access to the software right now.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 pm

I actually take it a step further. I have EventGhost configured to close Media Center when the TV turns off. It uses the Pulse-Eight HDMI-CEC adapter to detect that the TV has turned off. This way, it detects the event even if the TV turns off due to the sleep timer or someone pressing the power button on the TV itself.