Windows 8.1 32-bit and watching live TV

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Bonedoc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1 32-bit and watching live TV

Post by Bonedoc » Sun May 11, 2014 4:08 am

So I thought I had done all the research. I recently decided to buy a 8" windows 8.1 tablet for each of my three children and myself. I also purchased the PCI 6 tuner ceton card to add to the pci 4 so I would have 10 total tuners. I had two goals, one to get everyone on a calendar to organize everyone's event to manage driving etc. and two to have the ability for each child to watch tv and save recordings to the main PC. I thought this would keep me from having to buy everyone a tv for their room. Between Youtube, Netflix and Window media center I thought I would have it all covered. Problem is that I didn't do enough research. after paying $299 for Asus vivotab 8 tablets and paying $99 to upgrade to pro and then $9.99 more for windows media center, I had them all ready to go. But then I started asking Ceton questions and I was told that I would not be able to watch live tv on the tablets. Apparently I cannot access either tuner with the windows 8.1 tablets because they are 32 bit, not 64. So my question is, Is there anyway that I can have the kids use their 8.1 32 bit windows tablets to watch live tv from my main computer? Could I network the 4 tuner card and assign the tuners to the tablets? Ceton support is telling me no.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:33 pm

The main problem I see with the setup you imagined is that if you networked the tuners (which Ceton PCI's aren't really made for btw, Silicon Dust HDhomeruns would have been a better pick) each tablet would be it's own entity. In other words the guide and scheduled recordings would not be shared between. Not to mention each tablet would recording to it's local storage, which would eat their limited up space rapidly. I think you'd also have issues with wifi. Your best options are really:
1. Forget live tv on the tablets and just use them for streaming recordings. Use the Ceton MyMediaCenter app to access the main PC for scheduling recordings.
2. Run XBMC as the front end media center on each tablet. Install the ServerWMC app on main pc. Start your research here for this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=ServerWMC
3. I'm not sure if it's released for the 8.1 app yet, but Media Browser 3 allows access to the guide, live tv, and recordings. This also uses the ServerWMC app in conjunction with the Media Browser 3 server app on your main PC, and the client app on the tablets.

I'd probably try out number two first, since it is all free. I run a similar setup as my bedroom "extender" and it is great.

Edit: Just checked and Media Browser for 8.1 does not yet support Live TV. You could still use it through a web browser though, which actually is a pretty good experience. Again, free to try so give it a shot.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:42 pm

XBMC was the first thing that came to my mind too. Preliminary research says the WXGA is a problem see post #3 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159676 Old post...Asus and/or XBMC might have overcome this problem by now. Still, worth looking into, or, if you get stuck.

The 2.4 Ghz adapter 65mbps(?) on the tablet might be a problem too. http://www.asus.com/tablet//en/vivotab/specification/ I have tried some 2.4 live on a few different devices. 2.4 just doesn't cut it for me in this building (rock, brick, plaster). Live Tv on 5 Ghz 130-150mbps works well. Dual AC 190mbps of course should be no problem.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:33 am

The OP didn't mention what cable provider he is using. If most of his channels are copy-protected, then his only option for watching TV (live or recorded) on the tablets would be with the HD HomeRun PRIME tuners.

Of course, he should know that extenders (preferably the XBox360) connected to TV's are the best way to go... regardless of copy-protection.

Bonedoc

Post by Bonedoc » Mon May 12, 2014 3:13 am

verizon Fios.

Thanks for all the help. Obviously, I didn't do enough research. Didn't think about the recordings going to the tablets, thought they would be recording to the main PC. I do have the my media center app so I will add it to the tablets so they can schedule recordings. Best that way anyway. In the meantime I will research the xbmc option. I do use that for my movies. Haven't tried it for TV yet. You know how it goes "if it ain't broke..."

and you're right I love the xbox extender for the game room tv, works great. I also have one echo in my office and it works well also. Just thought it would be cool to have each child have a little tv to watch in bed. Saw a youtube video of a guy watching live tv on a tablet and that's where I got the inspiration.