HBO GO for WMC

Ylinen

HTPC Specs: Show details

HBO GO for WMC

Post by Ylinen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Love the HBO GO app on tablets. Is there a WMC addin for it? Great to be able to,watch past series and movies that are not being broadcast,right now.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Ylinen wrote:Love the HBO GO app on tablets. Is there a WMC addin for it? Great to be able to,watch past series and movies that are not being broadcast,right now.
I've used Kylo and modified the WMC entry it adds to launch HBO Go when started

http://kylo.tv/

You will have to log into HBO GO every time though; once your username and password are saved ; you just have to click the sign in button every other time (the arrow keys move the mouse pointer in Kylo; OK button is Enter/left click).

MC7forum

Post by MC7forum » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:58 pm

That's really cool. I never heard of Kylo before. I'll have to give it a try. I notice that their website shows a tile for Netflix. How does Netflix in the Kylo browser work with a normal Media Center remote? Anyone have experience with that?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 pm

MC7forum wrote:That's really cool. I never heard of Kylo before. I'll have to give it a try. I notice that their website shows a tile for Netflix. How does Netflix in the Kylo browser work with a normal Media Center remote? Anyone have experience with that?
It's not gonna give you any real advantage over the native Netflix app - both are browser based so will be stuck at 720p. You could add stuff to queue though if you have a disc subscription I suppose.

MC7forum

Post by MC7forum » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm

staknhalo wrote:
MC7forum wrote:That's really cool. I never heard of Kylo before. I'll have to give it a try. I notice that their website shows a tile for Netflix. How does Netflix in the Kylo browser work with a normal Media Center remote? Anyone have experience with that?
It's not gonna give you any real advantage over the native Netflix app - both are browser based so will be stuck at 720p. You could add stuff to queue though if you have a disc subscription I suppose.
If Kylo allows me to use Netflix with a Media Center remote, then it has the advantage that it doesn't break every once in a while like the native Media Center app (and also doesn't have some of the other quirks that the Media Center app has).

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm

I've been using Kylo on your recommendation for about a month now and like it a lot. I don't use it often (and don't use it over the Netflix WMC app), but I've used it for HBOgo, Youtube, Hulu, and some others and have had good success with all of them.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 pm

LuckyDay wrote:I've been using Kylo on your recommendation for about a month now and like it a lot. I don't use it often (and don't use it over the Netflix WMC app), but I've used it for HBOgo, Youtube, Hulu, and some others and have had good success with all of them.
Why not Hulu Desktop for Hulu? Much better experience IMO and native remote navigation/functionality. Youtube I have other preferred plugins as well; but good to hear :)

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Anyone try Kylo for Xfinity ondemand? I'll be trying it when I have time...

werds

Post by werds » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 pm

woodchuck wrote:Anyone try Kylo for Xfinity ondemand? I'll be trying it when I have time...
Did you ever get a chance to try it? Was thinking about testing it out specifically for things like Xfinity on Demand... I saw they had a screenshot of Xfinity website on the Kylo webpage but was hoping someone could share their working experience with it.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:25 pm

werds wrote:
woodchuck wrote:Anyone try Kylo for Xfinity ondemand? I'll be trying it when I have time...
Did you ever get a chance to try it? Was thinking about testing it out specifically for things like Xfinity on Demand... I saw they had a screenshot of Xfinity website on the Kylo webpage but was hoping someone could share their working experience with it.
Meh, I installed and tested it briefly last night... It looks pretty and if it worked on my system I think it would remove the need for whipping out the keyboard... the browser has a bunch of preset pages in it and xfinity is one of them. That said I had a few issues that I am not sure why they occured.

1. Using the directional buttons on the remote, sometimes it worked flawlessly. Occasionally the cursor would stop moving or responding completely to the directional buttons on my remote... why? I have no idea and it was annoying because the only solution when this occurred was to pull out the mouse/kb... Possibly this is a feature since I am using a Logitech Harmony 700 and it starts ignoring repeated keystrokes at some point?

2. The Xfinity on Demand shows would NOT stream while in the Kylo browser, but if I minimized and pulled up Xfinity on my Firefox, IE, or Chrome browsers it would stream shows in mere seconds...

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 pm

werds wrote:
werds wrote:
Meh, I installed and tested it briefly last night... It looks pretty and if it worked on my system I think it would remove the need for whipping out the keyboard... the browser has a bunch of preset pages in it and xfinity is one of them. That said I had a few issues that I am not sure why they occured.

1. Using the directional buttons on the remote, sometimes it worked flawlessly. Occasionally the cursor would stop moving or responding completely to the directional buttons on my remote... why? I have no idea and it was annoying because the only solution when this occurred was to pull out the mouse/kb... Possibly this is a feature since I am using a Logitech Harmony 700 and it starts ignoring repeated keystrokes at some point?

2. The Xfinity on Demand shows would NOT stream while in the Kylo browser, but if I minimized and pulled up Xfinity on my Firefox, IE, or Chrome browsers it would stream shows in mere seconds...
Kylo is based on Firefox, maybe it's an issue with the version of Firefox it's based on (older). That said, you can change the user agent in Kylo and see if that helps.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:48 pm

staknhalo wrote: Kylo is based on Firefox, maybe it's an issue with the version of Firefox it's based on (older). That said, you can change the user agent in Kylo and see if that helps.
Yea, I saw that the user agent could be changed. I should have tested that out before going to bed. Will take another look at it tonight. Still annoyed about the directional arrows on the remote not working properly though!

Wondering if it is working just fine for everyone else though?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 pm

I've had the cursor stop on me before, but never stop responding completely.

offroad

Post by offroad » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:25 pm

This no longer works with the KYLO browser as you need to udate to the latest FLASH plugin, which KYLO does not have.

If you try using KYLO.
Last edited by offroad on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Post on their forums and notify them of it and request they include the latest Flash : http://kylo.tv/community/

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:27 pm

They don't provide the ability to update the plug-in yourself? And installing the latest Adobe player only updates Firefox etc.? They really should fix that, shouldn't need to get a new build just to update Flash.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:01 pm

There are two different plugins for flash - an ActiveX version for IE and a plugin version for FF, Safari, etc. Chrome has it's own version built in, but that's due to a special relationship between Google and Adobe.

Having said that, if HBO is refusing to work with older versions of Flash, and Kylo is faking the handshake used to initiate the video stream, HBO might be requiring something new that's only supported in the latest version of Flash, in which case just updating the version number might not be enough.

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:33 pm

found a work around using INTERNET EXPLORER. Basically installed a link that opens up INTERNET EXPLORER from MCE directly to the HBO GO web page, which has all the passwords saved for it. Then I use my BLUETOOTH mouse to control HBO GO to play what I want. When I finish, closing the windows brings me back to MCE.

Its slightly painful, but it is functional, and will be for the long term.

KYLO has not updated their application since early 2012 and looks like they may never update it. No response about fixing FLASH on KYLO, but has been only a couple days. Kylo the company made there code OPEN SOURCE so they will not be fixing it anytime soon. Thinking that FLASH has to be licensed-payed by the browser developer, so KYLO will never have an update ever. My speculation.

PrplHaz4

Post by PrplHaz4 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:34 pm

offroad wrote: KYLO has not updated their application since early 2012 and looks like they may never update it. No response about fixing FLASH on KYLO, but has been only a couple days. Kylo the company made there code OPEN SOURCE so they will not be fixing it anytime soon. Thinking that FLASH has to be licensed-payed by the browser developer, so KYLO will never have an update ever. My speculation.
The Kylo installer will not be able to download/install the correct version of the flash player, but all you have to do is navigate to the flash player download page in Kylo and it will select the correct version to download and install:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Or, you can go here, and select the version you need (Windows 7, Flash Player 13 for Other Browsers):
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

To answer the questions above, yes, Kylo IS currently working with xfinity tv for live and recorded channels.