How can I completely disable SAP (Second Audio Channel)?

strawberryshortcake

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by strawberryshortcake » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27 am

Problem: I am converting windows media center (wtv) files for on the go ipad purposes. SAP or second audio channel is heard after the conversion progress is done. It even appears in preview screens for both Freemake and Any Video Converter. It is an extreme annoyance when there's a lady literally describing what's visible on screen. I have search practically everywhere for an answer, and have come up short. The solution is either non-existent or ... I don't know.

I was looking forward to watching "The Following" on my ipad when I'm out and about, but the converted file contains the SAP track. Is there any way to completely disable it?

Side Note: I have been using Format Factory for some time, however, I've been getting errors reads with Format Factory and decided it's time to abandon it. Both Freemake and Any Video Converter does a better job (i.e. converts files that stumps Format Factory). However, all three converters frustratingly reveals the SAP audio during playback. As of right now, I'll give Any Video Converter the edge in performance because Freemake has audio/video synch issues for certain videos (i.e. Cosmos, recently recorded programs on FOX).

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:23 pm

I've never heard of that happening, but I also never saw someone using those programs. Does WMC have a setting that could have made SAP your "default" language track? That could potentially slot it differently in the wtv file (I'm just guessing there).

Handbrake is the default standard freeware video conversion tool. Thats how I convert movies or programs I want to keep to H264 for long term storage. I'd give that a whirl if I were you. I can't remember if it even shows the SAP track in the audio settings, but you could definitely keep it out of your .MP4 file.

I don't use iDevices but I know Handbrake has well regarded presets for all of them.

strawberryshortcake

Post by strawberryshortcake » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:18 pm

I will give Handbrake a test run.
pittsoccer33 wrote:I've never heard of that happening, but I also never saw someone using those programs. Does WMC have a setting that could have made SAP your "default" language track? That could potentially slot it differently in the wtv file (I'm just guessing there).

Handbrake is the default standard freeware video conversion tool. Thats how I convert movies or programs I want to keep to H264 for long term storage. I'd give that a whirl if I were you. I can't remember if it even shows the SAP track in the audio settings, but you could definitely keep it out of your .MP4 file.

I don't use iDevices but I know Handbrake has well regarded presets for all of them.
The recorded file in question has the SAP enabled during converted file playback, and even during the preview screens for Freemake and Any Video Converter:

The Following_KTVUDT_2014_03_17_21_00_01.wtv.

I also converted The Following for 4/7/14 and 4/14/14 but these two airings does not have the SAP audible. I checked my "AUDIO" settings in Windows Media Center. Under "ANALOG AUDIO," It looks like here are two options, and I have "MAIN AUDIO" visible, and saved.

(A) "MAIN AUDIO"
(B) "SECONDARY AUDIO"

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:49 pm

I don't use Any Video Converter, but I did a quick Google search...

It has an option to choose the audio track. Take a look at the following link. Follow the instructions for "internal audio track" at the top of the page.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/onli ... -track.php

Usually, the SAP track will be 2-channel stereo, and the main audio will be 5.1 AC3.

strawberryshortcake

Post by strawberryshortcake » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:02 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I've never heard of that happening, but I also never saw someone using those programs. Does WMC have a setting that could have made SAP your "default" language track? That could potentially slot it differently in the wtv file (I'm just guessing there).

Gave Handbrake a whirl, and I was definitely able to isolate the main audio track by selecting the ENGLISH track. The SPANISH track apparently gives the SAP effect. Thank you. If Handbrake Content Quality (Video Tab) is set at 21 RF as default with pretty "great" quality, and 51 RF is "terrible" quality, what do people normally find acceptable quality with a fast conversion rate? Just in case anyone wants to chime in. I'll probably do some tests myself though.

barnabas1969 wrote:I don't use Any Video Converter, but I did a quick Google search...

It has an option to choose the audio track. Take a look at the following link. Follow the instructions for "internal audio track" at the top of the page.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/onli ... -track.php

Usually, the SAP track will be 2-channel stereo, and the main audio will be 5.1 AC3.
Thank you. That definitely works. The preview screen on Any Video Converter immediately disabled the SAP audio when I selected track number 2 (Eng).

To come back full circle, I guess my main question would be, how can I completely disable SAP in Windows Media Center so that I don't have to worry about it?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:05 pm

I don't think you can. Media Center is just recording the audio/video stream as it is received.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Regarding Handbrake settings:

if its a documentary (not something I care a bunch about visuals) I will set it to 22 and that seems to be pretty fast with a low file size

if I'm doing a action movie/tv series (like I will with 24 starting next monday) I will use 18.

if you can use Intel's Quicksync on your processor you can rip through them incredibly fast. That isn't on the offical Handbrake release yet, its on the beta test versions.

strawberryshortcake

Post by strawberryshortcake » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Regarding Handbrake settings:

if its a documentary (not something I care a bunch about visuals) I will set it to 22 and that seems to be pretty fast with a low file size

if I'm doing a action movie/tv series (like I will with 24 starting next monday) I will use 18.

if you can use Intel's Quicksync on your processor you can rip through them incredibly fast. That isn't on the offical Handbrake release yet, its on the beta test versions.
Intel's Quicksync:
I had someone build my computer using an AMD chip at his discretion. I personally don't know much about the in's and out's or under the hood PC components, but I'm guessing without an Intel chip, I won't be able to using Intel's Quicksync.

Handbrake's Content Quality:
Thank you for your suggestions. Appreciative. Handbrakes' default Content Quality is at 20. I think I may try it at 30 to 35 and see how things turns out. As long as there isn't much noticeable pixelation, then that would be great.

I'm mainly using the conversion process to watch and erase, unless there is something I want to keep. I'm not home when prime time watching occurs, so Windows Media Center plus the Hauppauge TV tuner is an absolute life saver.

Handbrake converting multiple files at once ( by not selecting folder ) ??
Is there a way to select multiple files for conversion without selecting the folder? My current recordings folder (DRIVE G harddrive (3 tb) has a lot of backlogs TV programs (i.e. The Goldbergs, The Following, The Goodwife, The Millers, CSI, etc. etc.). Selecting the entire folder would import all files within the folder. Other than moving the desired titles (i.e. moving The Millers, CSI) for conversion to another folder (folder A_to be converted for IPAD) or (The Goodwife) to (folder B_ to be converted for IPAD), is there are way to select multiple files within the folders and not all files within the folder?

Side Note: TV studios need to stop focusing so much on ratings when it comes to renewal/cancellations. If there is something on FOX, CBS, ABC and NBC at 8:00 pm simultaneously that I want to watch, what are we suppose to do as viewers to keep their ratings up. DVR numbers may not account for much in the grand scheme of things, but it's the only way to watch multiple shows designated for conflicting time slots.

Content Quality RF: 50

Content Quality RF: 20

strawberryshortcake

Post by strawberryshortcake » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:41 am

Been running handbrake for a while simultaneously along side any video converter. A little concerned with Handbrake's conversion time. In about 6 - 7 hours time, I managed to convert about 30 files with Any Video Converter, but with Handbrake, in approximately 3 hours time it converted about 1 file. I loaded a folder (with 3 Windows Media Center files), and I forgot to go through the "add to queue" function, and ultimately ended up with one file. Currently I have 3 files loaded into the add to queue, and the time remaining is 3 hours.

Any Video Converter, converted 30 files.

strawberryshortcake

Post by strawberryshortcake » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:11 am

Any Video Converter.
Edit: For anyone considering using Any Video Converter. Please make sure you uncheck that certain box during the installation process. It's going to want to install a couple programs on your PC. Make sure you select custom installation (then uncheck the box), and NOT express installation. This is what it looks like after I downloaded it. any-video-converter-free559.exe (30,751 KB).

Handbrake

So I'm not quite sure what's going on with Handbrake. I just completed the conversion process (3 files), and only one is complete after 2 hours. The other two are 1 KB in size.