Questions about flags and encrypted recordings

BerMM

HTPC Specs: Show details

Questions about flags and encrypted recordings

Post by BerMM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:54 am

My HTPC is working pretty well aside from my 360 extender (I need to finish some ethernet wiring). I'm building up a decent library of recorded movies and specials that I would like to save. As I understand it, there are certain flags and encryption that can prevent me from copying these to my DLNA server. If I understand Windows DRM right, the decryption key will be lost if I format and rebuild my system partition, and my recordings will then be unusable. Is there any way of stripping these flags and encryption, or at least backing up and restoring the decryption key?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 am

are you sure these recordings are DRM protected?

My cable company doesn't flag anything.

BerMM

Post by BerMM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:47 am

adam1991 wrote:are you sure these recordings are DRM protected?

My cable company doesn't flag anything.
No. I'm trying to make some sense of what I've read before I try converting a few.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:02 am

open up the recorded TV folder Default is a hidden directory "C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV" unless you moved it. Select "View | Details". If not already displayed, select "view | choose details" and place a checkmark next to "protected". This will show you the status if an item is protected (DRMed) or not. This would give you an idea of how much would be affected.
Time is on my side.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:03 pm

If you are in WMC you can see the copy protected status of a recording on this screen

You can copy these recordings to any server, pc, or hard drive you want. But only the WMC pc (or an associated extender) that recorded it can play it. Once you reformat the hard drive/reinstall Windows or do a system restore to a point in time before the recording you will lose your ability to watch it.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:07 pm

BerMM wrote:If I understand Windows DRM right, the decryption key will be lost if I format and rebuild my system partition, and my recordings will then be unusable.
Correct.
BerMM wrote:Is there any way of stripping these flags and encryption
No.
BerMM wrote:or at least backing up and restoring the decryption key?
Backup: Yes. Restoring: Depends.

There is a thread (at least one) on this subject here. Basically, you can restore the keys after say restoring a system image to the same hardware (e.g. the hard disk dies on you, you replace it and restore an image older then the last update to the Playready keys).

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:24 pm

You can view all of your protected in windows explorer by navigating to your Recorded Tv folder, right click up by where mine says protected, then select more, then turn on protected.
Attachments
Protected001.jpg

BerMM

Post by BerMM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks. This is exactly what I was wondering. I suppose there isn't any alternative software that will record from cablecard to unprotected files, either.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:33 pm

BerMM wrote:Thanks. This is exactly what I was wondering. I suppose there isn't any alternative software that will record from cablecard to unprotected files, either.
If the content is flagged 'copy freely' then there are alternative ways to record that content. If the content is flagged 'copy once' then only certain platforms such as WMC, a TiVo, or a cable company's DVR will record that programming.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:28 pm

BerMM wrote:My HTPC is working pretty well aside from my 360 extender (I need to finish some ethernet wiring). I'm building up a decent library of recorded movies and specials that I would like to save. As I understand it, there are certain flags and encryption that can prevent me from copying these to my DLNA server. If I understand Windows DRM right, the decryption key will be lost if I format and rebuild my system partition, and my recordings will then be unusable. Is there any way of stripping these flags and encryption, or at least backing up and restoring the decryption key?

You can still move the protected recordings to another physical location. They will only play when opened using the machine that originally recorded them, even from a remote location.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:50 am

smcmillan2 wrote:
BerMM wrote:If I understand Windows DRM right, the decryption key will be lost if I format and rebuild my system partition, and my recordings will then be unusable.
Correct.
Well, to be accurate: DRM'd recordings will be unusable. Those with no DRM will not be affected.