InfiniTV 6 ETH on private network?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 6 ETH on private network?

Post by adam1991 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Has anyone ever installed an ETH onto its own private network, treating it functionally the same as a USB connected 4?

I'm thinking completely separate NIC on the PC, static IP, direct connect to the ETH sitting right there at the PC.

I still have concerns about heat on the ETH--I think it's weird to see discussions about how to position or tilt the thing--but my alternatives are to either replace my (rock-solid) PCIe4, or add to it with a PCIe6. The former has me spending money to add only 2 tuners, and the latter puts more heat inside the case.

I could also do a USB4. I could also do a HD Homerun Prime 3 using the private network connection.

Or I could do nothing and stick with 4 tuners, which isn't a huge burden right now.

Just pondering my options. Any thoughts are welcome (and yes, I know those of you who will tell me to do the HDHRP because you say it's more stable).

LogicalApex

Post by LogicalApex » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:17 am

I imagine this would work just fine. As long as you setup the separate NICs to be on separate subnets you shouldn't have an issue.

My network has a DHCP server in place (as most do) so I'm not sure what the default IP address and range is if no DHCP server is available (as would be the case in your intended setup).

The question though is why do you need to do this? It works just fine connected to the network directly.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 am

Silicondust once required a crossover cable to hook it directly to the PC but that is longer required. You may want to check Ceton's documentation on the subject, otherwise maybe somebody can give a definite answer.

I too, have to ask though...why?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:27 pm

I dunno...why not?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:29 pm

adam1991 wrote:I dunno...why not?
Because network attached tuners are pretty awesome.

Seriously though, I can make a list of the advantages like removing the cable nest from your HTPC and other obvious reasons like having tuners available to any PC on your network.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:43 pm

I agree with mcewinter about reducing the cables behind your PC. Plus, you can hide a networked tuner in a closet anywhere in the house... and the TA goes with the tuner too. That gives you two fewer boxes on the shelves where the PC is located.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:51 pm

mcewinter wrote:

Seriously though, I can make a list of the advantages like removing the cable nest from your HTPC and other obvious reasons like having tuners available to any PC on your network.
Oh. Well, I have absolutely zero need to have tuners available to anything but the WMC recording/holding tank. As for the nest of wires...yeah, that's a valid point.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:53 pm

mcewinter wrote:

On the other hand, though, the incoming feed is in one place--at the TV. Easy to manage.

And I don't have TAs, so that's not an issue here.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:02 pm

If all of your gear is located at the same point then you have the option to use it as designed or to NOT use it as designed. I would probably (definitely) use it as designed.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:11 pm

The problem comes with the fact that the networked tuners require DHCP in order to assign an IP address to the tuner. However, I've read that the ETH (and the HDHRP) have a default address if no DHCP server is found... so as long as you set your 2nd NIC to the same subnet as the tuner's default address, it should work fine.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:52 pm

You would have to put a DHCP server on the network, or set static IPs, but it should work. That said, it should be unnecessary to do this.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:00 pm

OK, then. Like the Echo, it was designed and tested to be installed in a certain way--and by extension, any support I get will be maximized if it's installed in its sweet spot.

Defining that sweet spot is what life and this thread is all about...

I could gripe and moan about how "it shouldn't be that way, it should accommodate me and my wishes/demands," but with age I've come to realize the futility of that stand. Windmills hurt. What also hurts is watching other people continue down that path long after Truth has been revealed, with their heads in the sand refusing to "see" Truth.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 pm

erkotz wrote:You would have to put a DHCP server on the network, or set static IPs, but it should work. That said, it should be unnecessary to do this.
I agree it shouldn't be necessary to do this. However, like many here, 6 days into owning an ETH6, I am seeing some of the frustrations that others are having. I bought the ETH6 on tax day when your sale was on. I only bought it to tinker with and see if I can figure out why it has the issues it has. Mine seems to be fine until you push it past 3 streams of HD. Then the choppiness starts. I'm suspecting it might be an MTU issue.

When I get the time I will bring in my JDSU T-BERD and do some throughput testing into an eNID. I didn't see any option for changing the packet size in the ETH6. Do you happen to know what it's set at?