TMT6 license transfer, ripping hollywood blu-rays

BerMM

HTPC Specs: Show details

TMT6 license transfer, ripping hollywood blu-rays

Post by BerMM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:32 am

Anyone know why there is such variation in TMT6 pricing and if there is a downside to the download version? Is there any difficulty in switching the license to different machines? Is it useful in ripping hollywood blu-rays? Is there a relatively simple way to rip hollywood blu-rays for playback in WMC and XBox360 extenders?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 pm

BerMM wrote:Anyone know why there is such variation in TMT6 pricing and if there is a downside to the download version? Is there any difficulty in switching the license to different machines? Is it useful in ripping hollywood blu-rays? Is there a relatively simple way to rip hollywood blu-rays for playback in WMC and XBox360 extenders?
There are always deals on TMT6 online. Get the best price you can. There is no difference in the Download version vs. Retail. Check for coupon codes for TMT6 and get the best discount you can. The Key that comes with TMT6 will only allow you to use it on one PC. Trying to use the same key on multiple PC's seems to block you from future updates (Latest Version of TMT6) seems to be this way. I used to have it installed on the HTPC and my Desktop PC with the same key but that no longer seems to work after the latest update.
TMT6 will not allow you to rip DVD's or Blu-ray movies.
I don't condone ripping movies you don't own but there are software utilities out there for ripping them to .mkv files etc.
Google is your friend.. Make .MKV or Handbrake are popular. Slysoft AnyDVD etc.. A bit of searching will yield the results you are most likely looking for. If you want to play the files on both the HTPC and Extenders you will want to look at ripping to m2ts, mp4 or WTV files for best compatibility. Once again Google search on file formats supported by the Xbox 360.
newfiend~

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:16 am

For the work I have done with ripping, m2ts as the container, was very good and natively supported on PC, MCE/Xbox 360 as well as ps3. The other advantage of m2ts is that you can simply pass through a 5.1 audio track, without any processing. It's the file format used on many bluray so supported on a host of platforms. I used AnyDVD + Handbrake. For DVD, I found it necessary to include the black bars, i.e. don't crop, as otherwise PS3 shows green in their place on a display of a different aspect the image. All in all, a fun project to put some content into the Movies section of Media Center.