My Media Center - Does it work on HTPCs that are nodes?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
DKM3

HTPC Specs: Show details

My Media Center - Does it work on HTPCs that are nodes?

Post by DKM3 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:23 pm

Hope all is well guys. Your support rocks.

My setup:

a) 1 Server with and InfiniTV 4 PCI-e (statically assigned) w/ tuner adapter (ST) running windows 7 x64 [going to add another InfiniTV in a week]
b) Looking to add an HDMI capable card to the server and a longer HDMI cable for a 3rd system
c) 2 nodes running windows 7 x64 all gigabit.

I was wondering if the My Media Center server works on multiple nodes if installed My Media Center on each node with a networked setup? I tried to install My Media Center on a node but all hell seemed to break loose. Guide was missing all channels but one (I believe) and windows media center would not recognize tuners (no tuners available) and couldn't do live TV. In addition I believe that the diagnostics software couldn't even find the InfiniTV on the server. Is there an explanation for this? Could you explain the architecture of the system a bit?

Also on another note is there an easier way to reset a node and set it up again? Every time things go wrong I have to uninstall the bridge and reconfigure the server as the Ceton add-in only allows me to reset ALL infiniTVs. I'm thinking this is me being a bit new to the scene.

Using the charter stand alone app for iPad and iPhone streaming with VPN (need to solve VPN detection) and JB iphone/ipad.

Thanks for letting me bombard you with questions. Let me know what you thoughts are on my setup and any insight would be great

tad

Post by tad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:54 pm

You effectively have three separate media center PCs. I highly doubt My Media Center will work for you (and I expect that you will have a whole slew of other problems). My Media Center is meant for 1 main HTPC + extenders.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:54 pm

tad wrote:You effectively have three separate media center PCs. I highly doubt My Media Center will work for you (and I expect that you will have a whole slew of other problems). My Media Center is meant for 1 main HTPC + extenders.
Wrong....well almost.

How are your separate HTPC's configured? Do they share a common storage location for Movies and DVR recordings? I have 9....and no extenders. It all works fine.

In my case I have a central server that does the recording and stores the recorded content. All other HTPC's use that storage as their DVR library location. Movies and Music are stored in common storage locations as well. I schedule all recording from the DVRNAS machine and watch from every other location. Obviously this works if you have no DRM restricted content but will be problematic if all your content is DRM protected. You also need to be aware that the individual HTPS's will never work as extenders. Each HTPS will be it's own entity. The bigger problem is live TV at each location.

So the answer is yet it can but perhaps not all functionality will be as you expect it to be. Live TV at each location will be the biggest hurdle but that can be overcome as well. I used DVBLink in my solution and that has worked out perfectly.

You can get some idea of what I deployed in here -> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... &t=58#wrap

tad

Post by tad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Kind of defeats the purpose of a multi-room DVR doing it this way...

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:38 pm

I can use the DVR in each room if I choose. I also have the option to add those locations to the media libraries on each machine. The only real difference is how live TV gets to the locations that would usually be extenders.