Media Center suddenly won't record a full show?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
pburgh

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center suddenly won't record a full show?

Post by pburgh » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:56 pm

I've had my HTPC running without issues since Ceton released the InfiniTV 4 PCIe card. Recently, we started seeing that our Windows Media Center recordings were all failing after 15 minutes or so, reporting Weak Signal. The signal is just fine if you watch the channel outside of trying to record it. For example, if we record CSI on CBS HD... it dies after 15 minutes... but if I watch the channel live while CSI is on... it works fine and looks perfect. I tried the registry fix, but it didn't help. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to try?

I have modified the HTPC recently. I replaced the Phenom II X2 I was running with a Phenom II X4 965. I've also installed Blue Iris as a service and it is recording to the same disk as Windows Media Center. It seems likely that one of these could be to blame... but I can't imagine why???

Thanks for reading.

pburgh

Post by pburgh » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Oh, I should add that I shut off the Blue Iris service to see if that was the cause... no luck. WMC still only records a little bit of the show before weak signal. I don't have the luxury of swapping my X2 CPU back in there to test. :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:08 pm

When you installed the new Pheonom, did you run any "other" software? such as: Cable Advisor, Update PlayReady, WMC's Tuner setup?

Are you aware that you might have broken the DRM by installing a new CPU?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:28 pm

I had exactly the same issue. Listen to Crash. "Weak Signal" is a catch all for many errors, including DRM, which new hardware can easily break. It took me months to figure out it really had nothing to do with my signal. You need to run the advisor, playready and tuner setup again. Playready is the most likely culprit. That could take some doing to fix. SiliconDust has a nicely documented procedure, probably posted in some thread on this site as well.

pburgh

Post by pburgh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:44 pm

PlayReady was to blame! I did not realize swapping the CPU would trigger that. I updated PlayReady and everyone is happy again. Thanks!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:16 pm

pburgh wrote:PlayReady was to blame! I did not realize swapping the CPU would trigger that. I updated PlayReady and everyone is happy again. Thanks!
More bad news ahead! If you recorded any "protected content" such as movies from HBO, there is a good chance they will not play with the new CPU. And, now that you have updated PlayReady to the new CPU, you have lost the authorization keys to the old CPU. So, even if you could access the old CPU, you can't just pop it back in and everything goes back to normal. You likely have some data loss. Check your collection for content that won't play.