TotalMedia Theatre 6 in Media Center crashes with 2D bluray

KScott

HTPC Specs: Show details

TotalMedia Theatre 6 in Media Center crashes with 2D bluray

Post by KScott » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:41 pm

I just posted this at the Totalmedia Theater forum but thought someone here may have some relevant ideas.

I have a strange situation with TMT6 playing 2D bluray.
I'm using Windows 7 x64.
This PC is used as a Media Center only.
I just started from scratch and modified back to the way I like it and still see this issue.
2D & 3D both work fine with standalone TMT6, issues are only with Media Center TMT6.
If I install TMT6, all works well including 2D & 3D playback.
Well, except for the first time I launch TMT6 after a new install to play a bluray, it always crashes back to Media Center this first time.
Subsequent 2D or 3D playback is fine, no crashes.

However, if I back up the OS drive (I've used both Symantec System Recovery and Active Disk Image),on reboot TMT6 crashes back to Media Center when playing the same 2D movies that played properly before the backup.
3D still works fine.
These are cold images made with my boot disk, by the way.
I've never had any issues making this type of backup on dozens of pc's over many years.

To clarify, after making an OS backup image (just making, not restoring), TMT6 crashes back to Media Center when trying to play a 2D movie.

Now, if I uninstall TMT6 and reinstall, 2D & 3D all work perfectly, except for the crash when launched first time which I always experience.

Using the Programs & Features\Uninstall or Change\ TMT6 repair feature completes ok but 2D still won't play.
It requires a full uninstall & reinstall to work again.

As long a I don't backup my OS drive after a fresh TMT6 install, all works well.
No backup image makes me uncomfortable.

Just curious if anyone has heard of this before or has any ideas (preferably that make sense).

Thanks for the anticipated help!!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Do you have frame rate switching enabled in TMT6? What Video Card do you have? Saw that you have a NVidia card.. I know that frame rate switching for NVidia cards was just enabled in the last update to TMT6. If you have that enabled try disabling it and see if the problem persists. Wonder if switching frame rate to 24p for Blu-Ray is causing the crash on initial launch of the disk possibly? TMT6 all patched to latest version?
newfiend~

KScott

Post by KScott » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:12 pm

newfiend wrote:Do you have frame rate switching enabled in TMT6? What Video Card do you have? Saw that you have a NVidia card.. I know that frame rate switching for NVidia cards was just enabled in the last update to TMT6. If you have that enabled try disabling it and see if the problem persists. Wonder if switching frame rate to 24p for Blu-Ray is causing the crash on initial launch of the disk possibly? TMT6 all patched to latest version?
newfiend~
Thanks for the assistance, newfiend!
Framerate switching is not enabled.
Latest TotalMedia Theatre v6.5.1.150.

I install everything, test, reboot a couple times, test again and then make an image after I'm satisfied that everything works properly.
After reboot from making the image TMT6 crashes back to Media Center opening a 2D movie.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Have you Tried a repair installation of TMT 6?

KScott

Post by KScott » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Yes, the repair finishes normally but does not correct the issue playing 2D bluray from folder structure.
In order to play 2D bluray from folder structure, I have to completely uninstall TMT6 and reinstall.
Everything works fine until I image the OS drive.
I've tried Symantec System Recovery, Active Disk Image, Macrium Reflect, and Windows 7's own Recovery Image.
All result after reboot in 2D bluray from folder structure crashing back to Media Center.
Standalone TMT6 however continues to play 2D and 3D from folder structure without issue.
For now I'm just converting the folder structure 2D bluray to mkv.
this solves the 2D issue and Media Center TMT6 still plays 3D from folder structure perfectly.

A paradox or anomaly for sure but for now I've given up on this problems resolution and accepted a workaround.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:14 am

Might want to post over at the TMT forums about this issue.. Strange as it may be I can see a lot of people doing what you do with imaging a working system to restore in case a rogue update goes awry... (I do this as well). Its definitely a strange bug for sure but one Arcsoft should investigate.