Second xBox causes BSOD

RSaunders

HTPC Specs: Show details

Second xBox causes BSOD

Post by RSaunders » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 pm

I have a dedicated HTPC with Ceton InfiniTV and lots of external USB3 RAID storage.

The HTPC and my ancient xBox (as a media extender) work fine.

Today I got a new xBox 360 Slim as a second media extender. It was easy to set up, followed the menus no probem, as long as I don't use the new xBox to watch TV. When I go to the new xBox, call up the guide, pick a channel and click OK, I get the screen labels and one frame of picture from the channel. Alas, the HTPC gets a BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL . All the online hints seem to point toward "recent hardware changes". I suppose the new xBox could be that, though it's really just a network user.

I suppose I could delete the new xBox and randomly start over. Perhaps I could get lucky, but I'd like to do something a little more systematic. What causes this, and how do I troubleshoot it??

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:38 pm

I seem to recall reading about that one before. Might have something to do with the NIC on the HTPC. I am unable to look it up right now. Search nic causes bsod.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:18 am

Now I remember. The Ceton Echo was involved with the same kind of thing. Some people were getting a BSOD when the Echo went to live TV. The Realtek NIC drivers were blamed for the crashes. Not sure if this apply's to you, but it might point you in the correct direction.

Realtek drivers have caused this with the Xbox too. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... nic#p40081

Try updating your NIC drivers. Get the drivers from the NIC manufacturer not the motherboard mfg.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Also test your RAM.

RSaunders

Post by RSaunders » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:22 am

Crash2009: Thanx for the suggestion :clap:

Windows "update driver" and the Asus motherboard site had versions that didn't work. The Realtek site had newer drivers that fixed the problem.