Unable to view photos in WMC using DLNA

Experiences and questions about WMC on your iPhone, Droid, WP7, and more.
hbcondo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to view photos in WMC using DLNA

Post by hbcondo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:05 am

I posted about this on the Windows Experts Community website but didn't received a response so I thought I would ask here.

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy SII Android phone and it comes with a dlna app called AllShare. Using it, I am successful in playing music and video stored on my phone into WMC under the "Shared" pivot menu option. Even recordings in 1080p play flawlessly in WMC but when I try to view an individual picture, I get a blue screen that says "Unable to display picture." The thumbnails show up fine in the list view and I can view the individual pictures just fine within WMP as well.

Why am I getting this message within WMC?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Ooooh good one!

I might have a play later (if I get 5mins peace and quiet!) and see if I get the same problem.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:49 pm

A long shot I know:

http://alinconstantin.blogspot.com/2008 ... izing.html

I'm on the old wp7 now but def want to read up on this one :) (I lead a very interesting life!)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

hbcondo

Post by hbcondo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:33 am

Rob, thank you for your reply. I reviewed my registry settings and it appears to be correct as it already contains keys for PerceivedType and Content Type. Unlike the issues experienced by the author of the blog, my picture thumbnails render just fine. It's only when I click on a thumbnail image the error is shown. I even copied gif and png images to my phone and those image files types also give the same error. It's not a resolution issue either b/c the images vary from low res (2MP) to high res (8MP).

I'm assuming this is a WMC issue b/c WMP displays these images both in thumbnail and full screen just fine.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Try installing this and see if it helps. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=26829

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

hbcondo

Post by hbcondo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:53 am

Thanks for the link newfiend. Downloaded and installed and still no luck. I placed images not taken from the phone onto the phone's storage and still no luck either.

I just don't get it. Thumbnails shows up just fine and Windows Media Player can show the full size of these images w/o any issues. Why can't Windows Media Center to the same???

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:54 am

Have you tried logging onto the system as a different user? Sometimes, issues only appear within the user profile.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Scallica may have a point.. Try logging in as another user see if it works. Also try running Media Center as Administrator (right click run as admin)... do you have windows live photo viewer installed and updated as well? Just some things to try off the top if my head..

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 using Board Express

hbcondo

Post by hbcondo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I logged in as an admin and launched WMC as an admin as well but still the same issue.

There's nothing in the event viewer that shows this error. Do you know if there are any WMC logs available that may contain details about this error?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 am

Is UAC On your HTPC ON or OFF?... tried with it off? Wonder if it's blocking it somehow??? .. Tried turning windows firewall from on to off also?.. wouldn't recommend leaving it off but might be worth a try for troubleshooting purposes.

hbcondo

Post by hbcondo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:14 am

Thank you again for the suggestions and following up on this. I reduced UAC down to none and disabled windows firewall on another Windows 7 box I have and still the same issue :(

Without any error logs, how the heck is one supposed to troubleshoot the generic message "Unable to display picture"?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:44 am

What format is the picture in? .jpg, .png? .. If you change the picture format from lets say a .jpg to a .png will it display then? Just wondering if it's a file specific problem or if something else is getting in the way...
You can open the picture in paint and then re-save it in another format pretty easily.. let me know the outcome..
Wish I had more suggestions for you..
newfiend~

hbcondo

Post by hbcondo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:14 am

I copied gif and png images to my phone and those image files types also give the same error. It's not a resolution issue either b/c the images vary from low res (2MP) to high res (8MP).