Echo Combing and Deinterlacing Issues

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
fyodor

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Combing and Deinterlacing Issues

Post by fyodor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:04 pm

All,

I shelved my echo early in the beta and came back to it recently. I have run into the following problems with playback of 1080i content, which seemed to be common issues.

1. Combing during periods of movement.

2. General lack of smoothness playing deinterlaced content (most noticeable during pans and text scrolling).

The only content I've tried has been protected (Copy Once) content.

Was anyone ever able to work out a solution to these issues, either working with tech support or otherwise? I am using the latest firmware. Before I waste time with tech support I just want to see if anyone has successfully resolved these issues.

Thank You
F

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:50 pm

It will be fixed in the next firmware update, which should be out the week after never.

My Echo suffers from all of the horrible picture qualities you mentioned. All interlaced content has really bad combing artifacts and stuttering. Some channels are worse than others, but all interlaced channels suffer from this (HBO and Comedy Central are the worst for me... nearly unwatchable). All 480i channels are dreadfully bad as well, but I rarely watch any SD programming.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Exactly, what firmware version number are you using?

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Exactly, what firmware version number are you using?
Yep - all of the above for me. I raised the issue with tech support almost exactly 12 months ago and they said that they were aware of the issue. Again in October I raised concern about not seeing any updates / fixes for this issue and they said that they were working on updates and would continue to support the Echo.

Initially, they did roll me from 3.20 back to 3.4 (or whatever the 'current' stable FW version is) and it got marginally better. However - this also made H.264 playback/support worse for me. The stuttering on panning is still there.

Don't expect a fix, this thing is dead in the water. Take note of the endless 'specials' to offload their remaining stock. They are done with this and anyone that trusted Ceton's propaganda is out of luck.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:23 pm

I am using the most recent firmware.

It sounds like these aren't going to be overcomeable problems absent a not-forthcoming firmware upgrade.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:59 pm

fyodor wrote:
Open up an internet explorer window, and in the address bar, type your Echo's local IP address. This should take you to the settings page. Your firmware version number should be on the first page.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Open up an internet explorer window, and in the address bar, type your Echo's local IP address. This should take you to the settings page. Your firmware version number should be on the first page.

I'm using 2013.304.1657 (newest). Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Set your update channel to Stable so the update servers won't be able to pull the carpet from under your feet.

Under TV Resolution experiment between the settings of 1080 and Native to see what works best for you.

You probably all ready found the Support and Download tab.

There are a bunch of different versions of the settings plug. The latest is not necessarily the best for your setup. I have had the best results for my setup using the software version 12.12.4.935 Maybe someone else knows how to find these?

Echo needs a DHCP reservation in your router. Whatever number it boots with....reserve it.

I have had the most reliable results having the Echo and HTPC plugged into the same switch.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:15 pm

I had a little weird experience with fixing my signal strength. I am one of the few who always say how my echo works fairly well. I recently noticed my OOB LOCK on my HDPrime was getting 'weak' opposed to 'success' status. So I started checking wires. The HBO channel would start coming in with 'Weak signal' screens on all devices. What I realized was I had an old triple splitter outside sending the coax throughout the house. Two of the three went to the upstairs so I was able to remove them and go direct to the one line. This put my OOB LOCK back to 'success'. But what I now notice is the HBO has some symptoms that I always heard on here. So my point after all this babble is perhaps you can 'dumb' down your signal and see if you have a better experience (sounds crazy right). Can't hurt to put a splitter in place to weaken the signal and see if you get a better experience on the echo.

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Hmm...sounds interesting. I'll try this out and see what happens. Out of curiosity, who is your cable provider?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:08 pm

th3Pil0t wrote:Hmm...sounds interesting. I'll try this out and see what happens. Out of curiosity, who is your cable provider?

Comcast

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:04 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:I had a little weird experience with fixing my signal strength. I am one of the few who always say how my echo works fairly well. I recently noticed my OOB LOCK on my HDPrime was getting 'weak' opposed to 'success' status. So I started checking wires. The HBO channel would start coming in with 'Weak signal' screens on all devices. What I realized was I had an old triple splitter outside sending the coax throughout the house. Two of the three went to the upstairs so I was able to remove them and go direct to the one line. This put my OOB LOCK back to 'success'. But what I now notice is the HBO has some symptoms that I always heard on here. So my point after all this babble is perhaps you can 'dumb' down your signal and see if you have a better experience (sounds crazy right). Can't hurt to put a splitter in place to weaken the signal and see if you get a better experience on the echo.
My HBO started out at (-12.6) had to throw in a (+10) amp to get near zero. The closer you get to zero the better. Each 3-way costs you (-3.5), 4-way costs you (-7.0). If your signal was too hot (example +12.5) a 3-way would help (-3.5) a 4-way would help more (-7.0). If your signal is weak (-12.5) a 3-way will make it worse (-12.5)+(-3.5)=(-16.0)

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Each 3-way costs you (-3.5)
And that's only on one of the outputs. The other two are -7. Unless you have a balanced 3-way splitter (3x -5.5).