Flicker only on recorded TV; not live TV or movie files

wackychimp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Flicker only on recorded TV; not live TV or movie files

Post by wackychimp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm not sure if this is the "Frame Rate Bug" or not. It's not a stutter - it's definitely a "flicker". Video seems to play smoothly during this. I'm only seeing it on recorded TV through WMC (noticed it again last night while catching up on Walking Dead).

What I'm seeing is that the contrast seems to blink rapidly during playback. It's like to image goes from "normal" to "sepia" for an instant and then back to normal. Happens frequently (maybe 3-4 times every 10 seconds). After watching several episodes it seemed to work itself out and not happen as much.

It's not happening on MKV or MP4 rips or on my son's Xbox games - so I'm ruling out the projector (right?).

any thoughts?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30 am

Disable dynamic contrast in your GPU driver.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:16 pm

I finally found how to adjust the settings with my Haswell 4400 GPU. I could not find the dynamic contrast setting. The Haswell GUI control panel is set up differently from previous versions and I thought the option might not be available with the new drivers or for the new GPU; it took a lot of research to find out a simple bit of info. Sorry for bumping an old thread but I think the info might be helpful for someone.

If you go into the Intel HD Graphics control panel, under the Video section there's a drop down in the top left corner. It's not the most conspicuous, didn't notice it until I found an internet post where someone else pointed it out. From the drop down select Image Enhancement, then click Advanced, and then change Contrast Enhancement from On to Off.