The future of broadcast tv via the internet?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:50 pm

hooraah wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to go with the unlimited LTE from Tmobile when my contract is up. I'm not well versed in it, I understand its unlimited but throttled so wouldn't really work for constant netflix/home use. What kind of un-throttled throughput do you get with it?
They used to throttle the unlimited plan when you got to 3.5GB in a month, but they supposedly don't do that anymore. I haven't used that much data in a month yet. I got 2.5GB for all the other lines on my account. Those are actually unlimited too, but they get throttled at 2.5GB.

The times I've speed tested it, I get 32-35Mbps, even with only one bar on the signal strength meter inside a big metal-roofed building like a Wal-Mart.

hooraah

Post by hooraah » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
hooraah wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to go with the unlimited LTE from Tmobile when my contract is up. I'm not well versed in it, I understand its unlimited but throttled so wouldn't really work for constant netflix/home use. What kind of un-throttled throughput do you get with it?
They used to throttle the unlimited plan when you got to 3.5GB in a month, but they supposedly don't do that anymore. I haven't used that much data in a month yet. I got 2.5GB for all the other lines on my account. Those are actually unlimited too, but they get throttled at 2.5GB.

The times I've speed tested it, I get 32-35Mbps, even with only one bar on the signal strength meter inside a big metal-roofed building like a Wal-Mart.
Wow, that is a pretty good setup. And Tmobile allows you to tether as well, they just throttle it sooner? If I got 32mbps, tethered, with no cap I'd probably dump my home HSI.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:04 pm

hooraah wrote:Wow, that is a pretty good setup. And Tmobile allows you to tether as well, they just throttle it sooner? If I got 32mbps, tethered, with no cap I'd probably dump my home HSI.
2.5GB/month of tethering is included on all plans starting at 2.5GB and up. I don't know if it stops you from tethering after 2.5GB, or if it just throttles it. But, that limit is imposed when you use the T-Mobile tethering app. There are other apps that will allow you to tether and T-Mobile won't know that you're tethering. Some don't even require rooting the phone.

Like I wrote earlier though, I'm sure they would notice if you were pulling down terabytes of data on one of your lines.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Another cool thing on T-Mobile is WiFi calling. If you buy a T-Mobile phone, it has built-in WiFi calling. So, if you're in an area with no cell signal, you can call over WiFi. It counts against your normal calling minutes (mine are unlimited). So far, I haven't needed to use it because they have good coverage in Florida. But the nice thing is that if you travel out of the country, you can make a WiFi call back to the US for free. My wife and I went to Romania last summer. In the larger cities, there was free WiFi everywhere. In the downtown areas, there is even free WiFi that is installed by the city. I don't know if it's like that in all of Europe, but it was nice.

hooraah

Post by hooraah » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Another cool thing on T-Mobile is WiFi calling. If you buy a T-Mobile phone, it has built-in WiFi calling. So, if you're in an area with no cell signal, you can call over WiFi. It counts against your normal calling minutes (mine are unlimited). So far, I haven't needed to use it because they have good coverage in Florida. But the nice thing is that if you travel out of the country, you can make a WiFi call back to the US for free. My wife and I went to Romania last summer. In the larger cities, there was free WiFi everywhere. In the downtown areas, there is even free WiFi that is installed by the city. I don't know if it's like that in all of Europe, but it was nice.
My father uses Tmobile and uses this exact feature. He insisted that this was a feature of the Samsung S3 phone and that it was removed with the S4, so when he needed a new phone, he got the S3 instead.

I don't know if its an S4 feature or not, but it does seem to be tied to tmobile. Neat, I like it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:53 pm

My wife and I have the S4. Both of them have the WiFi calling feature. It is only on the T-Mobile version of the phone. We bought ours used on e-bay. My son has the Google Nexus 5, bought directly from Google Play, and it does not have the feature. My daughter has the Samsung Galaxy Lite, and it has the WiFi calling feature too. I bought it at the T-Mobile store.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:22 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Looks like this is the beginning of the end?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-disn ... 49544.html
I don't think it's the 'beginning' of anything. It's just another small step in an ongoing evolution. Many cable companies will allow you to watch Disney over the internet; or rather, Disney will allow you to watch it's networks over the internet if you have certain cable subscriptions. The Dish deal is another small step, but IMO this is another case of the media making a big deal out of a press release.

I have a Cox subscription and I can watch several online channels - to certain devices. I can watch live or past Disney networks (and others) on my Roku. The Dish/Disney deal will allow streaming "...over the Internet to customers' smartphones, tablets, video game consoles and other devices."

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/ ... 0#ChartKey
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57 ... -channels/