Building My Media Center with Blu-ray

barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Regarding the OP's question about exFAT and partitions:

First of all, you should be making all of your partitions NTFS. Not sure why you would want anything else.

Secondly, you seem to be saying that you installed Windows on a partition, which is on the same physical drive as another partition where you are storing your recordings. DO NOT DO THIS. Please read more below:

Most of us will recommend that you use an SSD for your Windows installation, and then use an HDD for recorder storage. If you cannot afford to buy an SSD, then it is OK to install Windows on an HDD, and to use the same drive for recordings... but DO NOT make separate partitions!

The reason for not making separate partitions, on the same physical drive, which contains the Operating System (OS) and your recordings is because doing so will increase the distance that the read/write heads need to seek between OS and application files (programs) and your recordings. Basically, putting an OS partition and a recorder storage partition on the same physical drive will increase seek time (which will slow down reads and writes) and will also increase wear and tear on the drive.

So, if you cannot buy an SSD for the OS, then it's better to make one big partition on a single HDD.
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 pm

^ He was last online to read post #2 and hasn't been back since ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Well, post #2 (mine) wasn't too scary... but it didn't answer his whole post. I was in a hurry, so I didn't answer all of his questions at once.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Just want you guys to know I got nothin' but love for ya'll.. haha.. hope the OP didn't get scared off as well.. we love to talk a subject to death.. don't we? lol

hvinc

Post by hvinc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Make sure you use the trial version of TMT before you buy it. I've never been able get my remote to work with TMT. It's a known issue on the TMT forums with some some remotes,but they've never fixed it. So I use PowerDVD.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 pm

The MCE remote (RC6) works fine with TMT. If you use Media Center, it just makes sense to have an MCE remote too, doesn't it?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:19 am

barnabas1969 wrote:The above, mentioned by milli260876, is probably correct. vobmerge may be a good tool. I've never used it. But, plain old DOS will do the job... very efficiently. It only uses disk I/O. Want a GUI? I can make one for you that will ask for the source and destination files... and it will just use plain old DOS.

Regarding MakeMKV and LAV filters... well... that's a whole different animal. What I recommended was simply appending VOB files into a new container. The Windows command line (commonly known as DOS) can do that for this type of video. When you get into MakeMKV and LAV filters, you're going to involve trans-coding, which involves lots of CPU and RAM. That's fine, if that's what you need... but you don't need it for DVD.

You don't need horsepower for encoding/transcoding makemkv repackages the content into an mkv container.
Lee

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:46 pm

I am with STC on the OPPO thing, but I also have TMT installed as well, and it works great and as Barnabas1969 stated that it works just fine with an MCE remote. BTW what ever happened to the OP, you guys weren't to rough on him.