Bum HomeRun tuner?

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
blueiedgod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Bum HomeRun tuner?

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 pm

I have 3x SDHR Duals in the system (along with InifniTV6 ETH). Lately, some of the recordings show tearing and missing sound for a second here and there, but consistently. Initially, I thought it was just the OTA signal or the antenna, but upon further introversion, it appears all of the faulty recordings are from one tuner.

I was troubleshooting last night, I was watching a live broadcast, and noticed tearing and sound gaps. Lo and behold, it was the tuner previously identified. Switched channels, same thing. Stopped TV started again with a different tuner, no problems.

There is nothing in in the logs to indicate problems. Unplugged tuner, plugged back in, and the issue persists.

This is one of the original gray SDHRD's, with separate inputs for each tuner. Only tuner 1 is experiencing the issue. I updated the firmware, but the issue persists.

Has anyone come across this, or the solution? I am on the lookout for the replacement now, just in case it can not be fixed.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Have you tried replacing the coax cable to that tuner, or at least checking to make sure that all connections are tight?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:39 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Have you tried replacing the coax cable to that tuner, or at least checking to make sure that all connections are tight?
I disconnected and reconnected the same cable, but have not replaced the cable. I will try that tonight.

Thanks!

tad

Post by tad » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Are you still on the original power supply? If so, try swapping between units and see if the problem follows the power supply.

They had issues with the earlier power adapters, although I haven't seen it only cause an issue with 1 tuner in a 2-tuner unit before.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:30 am

tad wrote:Are you still on the original power supply? If so, try swapping between units and see if the problem follows the power supply.

They had issues with the earlier power adapters, although I haven't seen it only cause an issue with 1 tuner in a 2-tuner unit before.
I had an original HDHR that had the power supply issue and the symptom was very similar to this. It was only on the second tuner if the first was already in use (power draw?) that the symptom showed up in my case; replacing the power adapter solved that issue... YMMV...
Time is on my side.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:28 pm

I would simply enable debugging and post the device ID to their forums with the issue. You'll get an answer.

advocate99

Post by advocate99 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 pm

I don't know if this helps, but I have two HDHomeRuns (Gen3) that were both having problems just like this after I updated the firmware. I eventually determined that the problems go away if I use an older firmware. I'm using 20120405 and they both work great. On newer firmwares (201303xx and 201401xx), the problem recurs. It appears that SD introduced some new features that may cause video issues with the Gen3 devices. Now that I'm back on 20120405, the video is perfect.
blueiedgod wrote:I have 3x SDHR Duals in the system (along with InifniTV6 ETH). Lately, some of the recordings show tearing and missing sound for a second here and there, but consistently. Initially, I thought it was just the OTA signal or the antenna, but upon further introversion, it appears all of the faulty recordings are from one tuner.

I was troubleshooting last night, I was watching a live broadcast, and noticed tearing and sound gaps. Lo and behold, it was the tuner previously identified. Switched channels, same thing. Stopped TV started again with a different tuner, no problems.

There is nothing in in the logs to indicate problems. Unplugged tuner, plugged back in, and the issue persists.

This is one of the original gray SDHRD's, with separate inputs for each tuner. Only tuner 1 is experiencing the issue. I updated the firmware, but the issue persists.

Has anyone come across this, or the solution? I am on the lookout for the replacement now, just in case it can not be fixed.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 pm

advocate99 wrote:I don't know if this helps, but I have two HDHomeRuns (Gen3) that were both having problems just like this after I updated the firmware. I eventually determined that the problems go away if I use an older firmware. I'm using 20120405 and they both work great. On newer firmwares (201303xx and 201401xx), the problem recurs. It appears that SD introduced some new features that may cause video issues with the Gen3 devices. Now that I'm back on 20120405, the video is perfect.
blueiedgod wrote:I have 3x SDHR Duals in the system (along with InifniTV6 ETH). Lately, some of the recordings show tearing and missing sound for a second here and there, but consistently. Initially, I thought it was just the OTA signal or the antenna, but upon further introversion, it appears all of the faulty recordings are from one tuner.

Thanks! I actually upgraded the firmware, and the issue is now isolated to 1 channel, Fox. Seems that this particular tuner may have low sensitivity, as FOX is the only channel that comes in weaker than others.

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
advocate99 wrote:I don't know if this helps, but I have two HDHomeRuns (Gen3) that were both having problems just like this after I updated the firmware. I eventually determined that the problems go away if I use an older firmware. I'm using 20120405 and they both work great. On newer firmwares (201303xx and 201401xx), the problem recurs. It appears that SD introduced some new features that may cause video issues with the Gen3 devices. Now that I'm back on 20120405, the video is perfect.

Thanks! I actually upgraded the firmware, and the issue is now isolated to 1 channel, Fox. Seems that this particular tuner may have low sensitivity, as FOX is the only channel that comes in weaker than others.
not sure of the status of your problem, but you could disabling that tuner for just the Fox station, then the other tuners will rearrange assignments automatically.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:33 pm

makryger wrote:not sure of the status of your problem, but you could disabling that tuner for just the Fox station, then the other tuners will rearrange assignments automatically.
Yeah, that is what I ended up doing as an interim solution, until I can build a second antenna to get better FOX reception.