Total Noob Question re: Capabilities of WMC

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:41 pm

OK, so you move the .wtv off to the WHS; do you take the .xml file with it?

How do you get 7MC to see both the local Recorded TV folder as well as what you've moved off to the WHS? Does 7MC see it as one big library of recorded TV?

I ask this because this is the next logical step in my setup.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Yes...you configure your Media Libraries in MCE7 to point to both the local recorded TV folder as well as the remote folder on the server. MCE presents it as one location.

WScottCross

Post by WScottCross » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:55 pm

adam1991 wrote:OK, so you move the .wtv off to the WHS; do you take the .xml file with it?

How do you get 7MC to see both the local Recorded TV folder as well as what you've moved off to the WHS? Does 7MC see it as one big library of recorded TV?

I ask this because this is the next logical step in my setup.
I don't move the commercial skip files, although you could if you wanted to. As long as DVRMSToolbox is configured and knows where to look for the XML files, you can put them anywhere.

You can have many different folders configured for each media type and MC will lump them all together into one big pool for you.

MZmuda

Post by MZmuda » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey, Guys,

I wanted to say THANKS to everyone who helped contribute to this thread. Your answers inspired me to go ahead and build my custom HTPC. Well, I have (built it) and finally gotten it up and running. (Off-topic: this build was a NIGHTMARE! The new power supply I purchased was a dud [DOA] and one of the in-box, new, factory sealed 3TB HDDs was actually the wrong type [PATA instead of SATA] and didn't even have a manufacturer's label on it. Talk about a jinxed build, right?) Anyway, the system is up and running, and it's looking and sounding great!

I think I went a little overkill by installing an Intel i7 2600k and a high-end GIgabyte mobo, but I'm happy with it overall.

I've gotten my ancient (version 1) XBOX 360 installed as an extender, and am thinking about adding a few more in the coming weeks depending on how stable and robust this system is.

Now that I've gotten the whole system up and running (at least as a test system, since I still need to migrate all of my music to this PC... [that alone might take a few weeks! :) ]) I was wondering if you could suggest any additional add-ons (extras?) I should put onto this system.

Someone mentioned Tuner Salad. Would that allow me to add a second CETON Cablecard tuner and increase the number of channels the system will see from 4 to 8?

Also, someone mentioned a commercial-skip feature. How well does that work? How would I install something like that?

One last question I have: I purchased a remote control for the PC: the MediaGate GP-IR02BK. It has a power button on it that turns my HTPC OFF, but never back ON again. I don't mind the idea of being able to turn off my HTPC, but if it's off, will it still know to wake itself up to record shows? If it's NOT smart enough to turn itself back on, is there any way that you guys know of to make the HTPC IGNORE the POWER button?

As always, thanks again! You guys have inspired me! :) (6TB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, i7... Oh yeah! :) )

- Mike Z.