InfiniTV 6 ETH - Check your NIC!

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
gthompson20

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 6 ETH - Check your NIC!

Post by gthompson20 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 pm

I have seen a lot of people complain about the InfiniTV 6 ETH tuner and pixelation. Well I thought I would share my experience in case it could help others (present and future)

I cannot stress enough the need to:
1. Make sure you have updated the NIC Drivers on your Windows Media Center PC
2. Check the settings available for that NIC and make needed changes

Long story short - I have a USB Infini TV 4 and acquired an Infini TV ETH 6 unit. While testing the 6 with an Intel NUC computer (Intel NIC) and I had no issues. Everything looked and worked great. I moved the InfiniTV 6 ETH unit to its final location and started trying to use it with my HTPC that has a realtek NIC. I noticed that in both the 360 extender and on a TV connected directly to the HTPC that I was getting pixelation or breakup every 30 - 60 seconds. It was pretty much on all channels and especially noticeable on HBO. So first I checked my signal Levels, they were great (1db 36.7 SNR)! Second I thought maybe the cable modem, and or the MOCA adapters were causing issues, so I disconnected everything and the pixelation continued. So that was not the issue. Thirdly I thought maybe I was having some network interference so I disconnected everything from the switch except the HTPC and the ETH 6. Nope still there... Finally I knew that I had updated to the latest Realtek NIC Drivers, so I went and took a look at the advanced settings (For those of you with Extenders, this was pretty much required back in the day to get the extenders to work well). I noticed that the Realtek Drivers had 2 items set to enabled that looked fishy to me:
One Was Called "Green Ethernet", and the other was called "Save Power" or something similar. I disabled both those settings, and Enabled Jumbo Frames for my GiGE Network, and VOILA ! No more breakup!
I know that Realtek is a pretty popular onboard NIC so if you are having pixelation or breakup issues, take a look at your settings for the NIC. I would actually recommend just picking up and Intel NIC like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833106033 as they are pretty much flawless etc.

Greg

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 pm

You don't want/need jumbo frames. Try turning it back off.

gthompson20

Post by gthompson20 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:15 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:You don't want/need jumbo frames. Try turning it back off.
Actually I do :) I am a network Engineer, and Have Jumbo Frames on my Switches and My Computers so that I get the fastest transfers when moving files around between GigE machines :)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:33 pm

gthompson20 wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:You don't want/need jumbo frames. Try turning it back off.
Actually I do :) I am a network Engineer, and Have Jumbo Frames on my Switches and My Computers so that I get the fastest transfers when moving files around between GigE machines :)
OK, but your tuners/extenders aren't going to use jumbo frames. It should also be noted, as you said, that your switch needs to support jumbo frames too.