Playback Issue

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JohnW248

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JohnW248 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:29 pm

dabeast wrote:Quick status update.

The original file (youtube clip) does not play in VLC it starts and after about 3 seconds just freezes so it would seem like the file is corrupt.

Last night I watched CBS all night and it never happened once. Same hardware setup as before. So I am at a loss again.
This sounds like a classic case of external interference. Check the frequencies that are troublesome (I think I mentioned the technique above, if not I'll gladly do it again here) and then it's a matter of finding out what's running at the time you have trouble (can be anything from a local radio transmitter (cellphone) to a noisy motor or motor cap, to a world of things. But once the frequency is determined they we can look for that or a harmonic. A lot of 2.4ghz devices are troublesome as can be wifi if it is leaking, etc.

dabeast

Post by dabeast » Tue May 21, 2013 6:55 pm

I will check again tonight.

If it is an interfernce issue is there going to be anything I can do about it if it is not something inside my home.

I am running wifi in the home with this HTCP being wifi for the guide updates.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Depends on what the interference is....the FCC used to put out a whole booklet on rf problems (way back in NTSC days). If the source can be found there are ways to shield it, an offending device can be unplugged if found and can either be replaced or filtered, etc. It all depends on what it is. But it's getting into the cable and it seems from your description to be ahead of the tuner so it could be something like a sharp crimp in a coax cable, a bad drop from the cable company, etc. Sometimes shorts aren't shorts in coax except at certain frequencies...cable guys have tools to find these things if we can pin it down to a certain QAM grouping or around a certain frequency they may be able to fix it if it's not something in the house. Try to remember anything that was different when you had no problem with CBS. Depending on where you live it could be a neighbor or if in an apartment house, another unit, etc. If you're in a house with a standard cable drop it could be outside from the pole to house, from the node to the splitter drop to the house, etc. All things cable guys can fix.

dabeast

Post by dabeast » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Local cable company got bought out and did some upgrades over the past few months and I have not seen this issue since then.

dabeast

Post by dabeast » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:00 am

So now the issue is back but on NBC and not CBS. Being as it is a year later there might be someone who might have some ideas?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Have you tried using an ATI video card? A lowly, $10 Radeon 4000 may be all you need.