Tuning Adapter firmware update?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jaimeknapp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuning Adapter firmware update?

Post by jaimeknapp » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:53 pm

I have read that there is an update to the Cisco Tuning Adapter first pushed by Brighthouse on 12/12/2013 (from tivocommunity forum):

Software Versions
PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGP OS
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901
App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a203

Apparently this speaks to the timing issue when switching to, or between channels, tuning times out resulting in the "Subscription required..." screen. I have been getting around this by always hitting Stop prior to a channel change request.

Is there anyone using an InfiniTV4PCIe with its current firmware who may have received this TA update and found how well it may have dealt with this issue?

My TA currently reports:

SOFTWARE VERSIONS
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a202

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm still on 1601 on TWC in Los Angeles (LA County North headend). We did get a new FW push on the cableCARD to OS Ver: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 with a build date of June 6 2013 on Wed Dec 4 2013, 9:07:38 AM GMT. I haven't noticed any difference in the cableCARD and still have sub required timeouts on Copy Protection. I don't know if the CableCARD update is required before the TA update or not, but I'll keep watching for the update.

John

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks John.

I am on TWC in SA TX and got the same CC OS version as you about the same time.

We shall see...

Jaime

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Wow, BH moved fast...I was talking with my TWC contact about this (TWC and BH have an intertwined relationship that results in TWC largely managing things like this for them) and it was only approved a few weeks ago. That reminds me, I need to email them my TA MAC to get it targeted....

CableCARD and TA firmware are generaly seperate and updates are not tied together.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 pm

jaimeknapp wrote:I have read that there is an update to the Cisco Tuning Adapter first pushed by Brighthouse on 12/12/2013 (from tivocommunity forum):

Software Versions

Apparently this speaks to the timing issue when switching to, or between channels, tuning times out resulting in the "Subscription required..." screen. I have been getting around this by always hitting Stop prior to a channel change request.

Is there anyone using an InfiniTV4PCIe with its current firmware who may have received this TA update and found how well it may have dealt with this issue?

My TA currently reports:

SOFTWARE VERSIONS
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a202
I'm A BH customer and did receive the TA update. It has seemed to help with the SUB required issue. I'm not seeing it like I was . So some improvement. Now If I could just keep the TA from locking up and going into lala land as it sees fit.....

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:55 pm

TWC in Los Angeles (LA County North, Chatsworth) rolled this Thursday morning

SOFTWARE VERSIONS

This is also an alert on the legal notice page that they are doing changes on or after Jan 31 14 which will require rescanning of clear qam sets....looks like they're going to move things around again. Doesn't matter for cableCARD but anything that is just clearQAM will have to rescan.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:48 pm

We fell asleep on the couch last night with my XBox360 extender on LiveTV. I woke up around 1am and found the "weak signal" message on the screen. I couldn't tune any channels until i closed/re-opened MediaCenter on the XBox.
After a quick look at the HDHRPrime logs and the TA logs, I found that our tuning adapter rebooted about an hour earlier. It looks like the firmware was updated to: FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901

I know it was on the older version just a few days ago as I had just placed a call to TWC on Monday about some issues I was having with the TA. Hopefully this will clean up some stability issues that I've seen with the device in the past.

Provider TWC - Cincinnati area

Does anyone know what fixes/enhancements this new firmware brings to the table? Or does it just allow them to cram more channels into the switched digital spectrum?

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Today I checked and found my TA firmware has been updated to FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901. FYI: San Antonio, TX on TWC.

It would seem that channel changing is a slight bit quicker. There are still some direct channel to channel changes (both SDV) that will time out with the subscription required screen unless I hit Stop then navigate to the other channel, which then proceeds to change just fine.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:46 pm

UCBearcat wrote:
Does anyone know what fixes/enhancements this new firmware brings to the table? Or does it just allow them to cram more channels into the switched digital spectrum?
From what I've been told by TWC cableCARD Engineers, Cisco doesn't publish any "fixes" lists with updates. But I have notices that I have stopped getting errors on the mini carousel loading. These used to pile up to high numbers. Now it looks like this (see below). What is this important? If the TA keeps track of what is on your node (local carousel) then it makes faster tunes to channels that are already being used by other tuners and it also marks them so they won't shut off when the other user tunes out. This cuts traffic to the headend for channel requests and should result in faster tunes (if local) and fewer long tunes (if request to headend). How well that works will depend on how the FW update at the headend is working but here I've seen an improvement.

MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Def Freq: 555 MHz
Tvp/Tv Id: n/a
Load Time: 02/20@09:33:35
Version: 12
Size: 1760 bytes
Num Entries: 106
Cache Hits: 6 ---->>channel is on the node and TA used it
Cache Misses: 0
Cache Overrides: 0
Load Count: 21
Load Failures: 0 --->>used to be a high number
Last Load Err: NoErr
Err Time: n/a
Last Load Attempt:
02/20@09:33:35
MC DISCOVERY FILE INFO
Load Time: n/a
Version: n/a
Size: 0 bytes
Num Entries: 0
Service Gp: n/a
Parent Svc Gp: n/a
Last Load Err: NoErr
Err Time: n/a

JackatForum

Post by JackatForum » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:28 am

I have been having this Subscription Required from SDV to SDV for about a year ever since I got the cablecard/TA. (once in a while it does work)

I have BrightHouse and using a Windows 7/64 Pro PC with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI card.
The cablecard, Tuning adapter, Infinitv have all been replaced multiple times.
Today we went to 2 cablecards and 1 tuning adapter but this problem remains.

It has been posted in my other postings months ago.

Nothing was ever said by BH about a firmware update.