Example HBO show with 29/59 issue? (HD4000 graphics)

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Example HBO show with 29/59 issue? (HD4000 graphics)

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:49 am

Many of you already know that I've built a new HTPC using an Intel iGPU with HD4000 graphics. Well, due to the CBS/TWC dispute, my cable company has refunded me for Showtime, and has also given me 3 free months of HBO.

I'm still running my old HTPC with an nVidia GT-430 GPU, and I'm slowly setting up the new PC with HD4000 graphics. I'd like to get some examples of shows on HBO that have the 29/59 issue to test on the new PC.

I know that there are some short clips that I can download, but I'd like to test it on actual HBO content. I recall someone mentioning that "Game of Thrones" has the problem, but I don't see any episodes of that show in my guide.

So, I'd really appreciate some input on HBO shows that definitely have the 29/59 issue so I can schedule them to record on the new PC and watch them later to see how it looks on the HD4000 with my current driver/settings.

Thanks.

EDIT: The new HTPC (with HD4000 graphics) is running Windows 7 Pro x64.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:33 am

Just about any movie that I ever recorded on HBO whenever FiOS had free HBO weekends over the last two years was very "jerky" until I found the relevant setting in my Intel control panel. I don't think I ever recorded anything from HBO that didn't have this problem.

dandys

Post by dandys » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:03 pm

foxwood wrote:Just about any movie that I ever recorded on HBO whenever FiOS had free HBO weekends over the last two years was very "jerky" until I found the relevant setting in my Intel control panel. I don't think I ever recorded anything from HBO that didn't have this problem.
What setting are you referring to? Did that fix the problem?

I still have the problem with a new Haswell cpu with 4200 graphics I think. Everything on premium channels seems to have this problem but I'll let you know if something doesn't.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Disable Dynamic Contrast. I would post a link to show you how to do that, but unfortunately... JazJon's signature mentions disabling dynamic contrast so EVERY ONE of his posts show up in a search! Maybe he should link to instructions on how to disable it??? Duh.

I can tell you this.... you need to get to the advanced settings in the Intel display settings program. It involves clicking an "arrow", according to Richard1980's posts. I didn't need to read these posts when I found it. It seemed obvious to me... but apparently, many people miss the advanced settings within the Intel display driver settings.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:37 pm

I'll make a note to look up the exact setting I changed later tonight. I've got a 1st generation i3, so the drivers aren't the same as yours, but the instructions that I found for my chipset didn't work either (presumably because they were written for a different driver version), so I poked around a bit further until I found whatever different name Intel gave the setting in the driver version that I have.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 pm

Here's a link to one of my recent posts in case it helps: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 863#p58863

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks, Richard. I was hoping you would come here and post the answer. Someone should tell JazJon to make his signature link to a "how to".

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:07 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I would post a link to show you how to do that, but unfortunately... JazJon's signature mentions disabling dynamic contrast so EVERY ONE of his posts show up in a search!
The search function of phpBB does not search signature text.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1930505
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Scallica wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I would post a link to show you how to do that, but unfortunately... JazJon's signature mentions disabling dynamic contrast so EVERY ONE of his posts show up in a search!
The search function of phpBB does not search signature text.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1930505
That may be true, but I usually don't get any usable results from a search using this site's search feature. Google almost always returns more usable results.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:33 am

foxwood wrote:I'll make a note to look up the exact setting I changed later tonight. I've got a 1st generation i3, so the drivers aren't the same as yours, but the instructions that I found for my chipset didn't work either (presumably because they were written for a different driver version), so I poked around a bit further until I found whatever different name Intel gave the setting in the driver version that I have.
I have a first generation Core i3-540. The video driver version is 8.15.10.2827. To get rid of the jerky display of HBO recordings, I right-click on the desktop, select Graphics Properties, then Advanced Mode, then Media, then Image Enhancement and un-check Auto Adjust.

I've only every seen this problem on HBO channels (maybe ShowTime too) and I only ever record those channels a couple of times a year when my provider has a free preview weekend, so I just ignored it and deleted those channels from my guide entirely.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:31 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Thanks, Richard. I was hoping you would come here and post the answer. Someone should tell JazJon to make his signature link to a "how to".
Whoops sorry about that haha, just saw this post randomly while searching for something unrelated.