Subtitles in WMC?

rakosnik

HTPC Specs: Show details

Subtitles in WMC?

Post by rakosnik » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Is there a way to watch a movie movie that has a subtitles track in Windows Media Center if the subtitles aren't burned in?

I've taken a movie and ripped it to an ISO then I use Handbrake to make a mp4 of the movie. Depending on the movie when I use handbrake I add either the forced only subtitles or the foreign audio scan subtitles. If I play the mp4 in VLC, I can go to the subtitles menu there is an option for the subtitles track and then I can read what they are saying in a foreign language. But if I watch the mp4 in WMC when I press the subtitles button on my WMC remote there isn't an option for subtitles. If I record something off of broadcast television and press the same subtitles button on my WMC remote, there are options there for close captions and I can get subtitles.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to figure out what to do about subtitles especially for movies with foreign or alien language dialogue that is meant to be translated on the screen as subtitles, but the original video doesn't have the subtitles burned into the video. Should I just always burn the subtitles into the video or is there an option in WMC that is a best practice to use?

Shark007

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Shark007 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 am

The reason you're not getting much help is that you are trying to play MP4 files that do not meet the specifications for the format. I write codec packages that will allow Media Center to play these files anyway. Although you haven't stated it, most likely you have a 64bit Operating System which adds some complexity to the solution.

You will need to install the 32bit STANDARD Codecs 1st followed by the 64bit x64Components addon. During installation, a window will present the Settings Application to you where you need to select the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox. After that, on the Windows SWAP TAB of the Application, you'll see a checkbox specific to MP4 files. Using this checkbox will solve your playback issues for MP4 files in Media Center.

For future use, the 64bit Settings Application controls Media Center playback while the 32bit App controls most other players.

I also write ADVANCED versions that contain more codecs and of course, more settings.
Most likely though, all you will need is the STANDARD releases.

If you have installed my codecs and are in need of follow-up assistance, please do so on my own forum.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs