WMC Black Screen Issue

Bryan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Bryan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:11 pm

It looks like you're well on your way, so feel free to ignore this. However, I thought I'd throw out there I has the same issue you're seeing, as well as driver crashes and a few other symptoms. I bought an HDMI Detective, installed it a month ago, and haven't had a problem since. They're a bit pricy but take care of it immediately. I looked at using HdmiYo and EG, but in the interest of WAF, I went for quick and easy.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Bryan wrote:It looks like you're well on your way, so feel free to ignore this. However, I thought I'd throw out there I has the same issue you're seeing, as well as driver crashes and a few other symptoms. I bought an HDMI Detective, installed it a month ago, and haven't had a problem since. They're a bit pricy but take care of it immediately. I looked at using HdmiYo and EG, but in the interest of WAF, I went for quick and easy.
Me too. I got Dr HDMI. Have no desire to spend days on end trying to configure a button to knock some domino's over that may or may not fall depending on the atmospheric conditions :crazy:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Well, like I said, each video adapter handles this differently. My old one didn't reliably display device attached/removed events. My new one does.

It's too bad that you don't see a DeviceRemoved event when you turn off the TV, but...

It wouldn't hurt if your DeviceAttached event sent a keyboard command to HdmiYo multiple times. The worst thing that will happen is that the HDMI handshake will happen several times.

Not sure what the other posters are talking about in regards to WAF. If the TV turns on, and the PC does the HDMI handshake without the wife needing to do anything, why would that be a problem?

So, at this point, what I recommend is to install HdmiYo. Set it to a keyboard sequence, and then try it manually with a keyboard to see if it resolves your issue.

If it does, then I'll help you setup an EG macro that sends the keyboard sequence to HdmiYo.

Simple stuff.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:43 pm

My issues were happening enough that I was getting frustrated, and it was happening to my wife more than me. Since I'm using WMC, I'm obviously up for tinkering, but I really didn't want to get involved chasing this down. So, I opted for the quick and simple solution, which was two minutes installing and configuring the Detective. Nothing at all changed with the setup, except it now works as expected.

I had this issue both with my old HTPC using Nvidia and my new one with Intel. Didn't start until I upgraded to an HDMI receiver.