WMC movie guide SD and HD channel display

ja216

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC movie guide SD and HD channel display

Post by ja216 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:51 am

In the US we have Turner (TCM) broadcasting on channel 97 broadcasting in standard definition and also on channel 734 broadcasting in HD. I have both channels active but the movie guide only shows the HD show forcing me to go to the tv guide and manually go to the proper date/time to choose a standard def movie to record. There are many that I do record in HD so I would l like to find a way to have WMC display BOTH channels in the movie guide.. Any ideas?

This is a windows 7 (fully updated) setup with windows media center.

Thank you for any assistance

Jon

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:09 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean by movie guide. Do you mean the movie favorites list? If so, just make your own Movie favorites list and add both channels as well as any other movie channels you want. Having said that, you really need to remove the SD version from your lineup entirely. An SD program on an SD cable channels is usually much lower quality than the same SD program on an HD channel due to higher compression. You should record both sometime and you will see for yourself.

ja216

Post by ja216 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:25 am

In the windows media center control screen there is a TV guide which shows broadcasts by time and channel in a text - box form as opposed to the Movie guide which shows just movies in icon form. Despite having both channels enabled, when in movie guide only the HD version is visible - thus eligible to be enabled for record in that area. If I disable the HD channel (734) then the SD (97) channel shows and the sd shows are the only one visible and thus eligible to pick in the movie guide. I fully understand the diff between SD and HD but at times the HD are just so huge that it is not worth saving unless it is some special movie (about 2GB vs sometimes 12GB or more). Remember that both are always eligible for recording in the TV guide section but that is a pain having to go to each date/time to set each up.
This has nothing to do with the favorites list.
thanks for your reply
jon

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:12 am

Untitled.png

ja216

Post by ja216 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks - I will give that a try now.