Can WMC record to two hard drives?

tootal2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can WMC record to two hard drives?

Post by tootal2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:05 pm

I want to use two 3tb drives to record the Winter Olympics. How can I make wmc use 2 drives to give me 6tb of drive space?

tletourneau

Post by tletourneau » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Set them up as a RAID 0 volume? The OS, and therefore WMC, sees it as a single drive.
Thanks,
Tom

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:34 pm

In Windows drive setup, you can easily combine multiple drives into one volume. Then tell WMC to record to that volume.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:15 pm

If you want to combine both drives, you can either use Raid 0, or you can use windows JBOD feature.

If all you're looking for is for WMC to change hard drives automatically when it starts to run out of space, I would look into using WMC Recording Storage Pooler (Google those words)
tootal2 wrote:I want to use two 3tb drives to record the Winter Olympics. How can I make WMC use 2 drives to give me 6tb of drive space?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 pm

There is this you could look at too maybe:

http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/WMCReco ... agePooler/
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:52 am

I've been thinking of adding storage myself. I never thought 3TB could fill up so fast!

Do you all think RAID 0 would perform better since in theory the hard disk throughput is doubled? Or does it not make that much of a difference?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:06 am

Any modern hard drive has more than enough oomph to handle streaming the bits on and off for all your tuners.

Well, unless you have something like twelve of them, and you use them all, and you're streaming recorded TV out to five extenders plus a local TV...

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:29 pm

adam1991 wrote:Any modern hard drive has more than enough oomph to handle streaming the bits on and off for all your tuners.

Well, unless you have something like twelve of them, and you use them all, and you're streaming recorded TV out to five extenders plus a local TV...
I was planning on adding a ETH 6 to my current PCIe 6. I was only going to allocate 2 of the 6 tuners to my current PC to make a total of 8. Rarely do I use all 6 tuners but there have been times.

I notice hard drive throughput demand significantly increases during fast forward and rewind operations. So let's say I have 4 extenders all doing that at the same time as well as recording on all 8? That's where I was thinking RAID 0 may help.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:34 pm

kd6icz wrote:I've been thinking of adding storage myself. I never thought 3TB could fill up so fast!

Do you all think RAID 0 would perform better since in theory the hard disk throughput is doubled? Or does it not make that much of a difference?
That will depend on the RAID controller. Most cheap ones (or some software based ones), when used as RAID 0 will just write to drive 1, until it is filled up, and then write to drive 2. At least that has been my experience with cheap ones, and I refuse to pay $400 for a real enterprise level RAID controller.

As to storage filling up fast, we are up to 28 TB, yup 28 TB! When you are not limited by the DVR recording storage, you end up recording more stuff than you have time to watch.

superbob

Post by superbob » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:16 am

blueiedgod wrote: That will depend on the RAID controller. Most cheap ones (or some software based ones), when used as RAID 0 will just write to drive 1, until it is filled up, and then write to drive 2. At least that has been my experience with cheap ones, and I refuse to pay $400 for a real enterprise level RAID controller.
I think I will have to have a closer look what WMC does when you add your second drive as a new library for recorded tv. If it is just recording on the new drive or recording using any deleted space on the original drive.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:51 am

superbob wrote:I think I will have to have a closer look what WMC does when you add your second drive as a new library for recorded tv. If it is just recording on the new drive or recording using any deleted space on the original drive.
WMC can record to only one location. When you specify "Other Recorded TV Locations", WMC will read from those locations when you playback recordings, but it will not write to them when you make a recording.

If you really want to spread recording over two or more drives, the no-cost method is to use the "Recording Storage Pooler", as mentioned in an earlier post.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TromboneKenny

Post by TromboneKenny » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:27 am

I'll warn you what I learned from the last summer Olympics. When you set the series recordings, make sure you specify keep until you delete. I never found a way to easily go back and edit those recordings so they wouldn't cycle off (in bulk). I'm considering that now with the Winter Olympics coming...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:46 am

adam1991 wrote:Any modern hard drive has more than enough oomph to handle streaming the bits on and off for all your tuners.

Actually... I've tried that. With 10 tuners recording, and 5 TV's watching... not even a hiccup!

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Here's the math.

An mpeg-2 HD steam from a cable provider is on average 17 Mbps. 10 tuners = 170 Mbps. For recording, that's 21.25 MB/s of data being written, which disks will not even look twice at. A large disk cache helps smooth any bumps plus the OS adds RAM to the equation as additional cache. Windows 8 has good resource monitoring built in to see this up close in task manager. The only addition to this is the LiveTV buffer. But I don't believe it is used when the channel you are watching is being recorded. I.e. it's an either or. This also means that if you have extenders watching LiveTV, you'll see this write throughput to the disk.

If you have network tuners, the tuner traffic is clearly visible on the NIC (RX) as is extender traffic (TX).

If you are using 10 extenders, the network traffic, in the other direction, is the same. I.e. 170 Mbps of TX.

Gigabit required in this scenario which can scale much further.

If there is a disk performance issue, Any stripped raid would resolve. I used to stripe but did away with it as was overkill for three tuners. There are also disks that are rated for IP cameras as do not do error checking. This eliminates hiccups in disk writes.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Agree with post #14. Well, mostly... not many cable channels go over 15Mbps. But... while running all 10 tuners and all 5 TV's, the Windows Resource Monitor only showed the disk queue length to be 0.05. You never want your disk queue higher than 1.0, so 0.05 is just fine.

superbob

Post by superbob » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:36 pm

CyberSimian wrote:
superbob wrote:I think I will have to have a closer look what WMC does when you add your second drive as a new library for recorded tv. If it is just recording on the new drive or recording using any deleted space on the original drive.
WMC can record to only one location. When you specify "Other Recorded TV Locations", WMC will read from those locations when you playback recordings, but it will not write to them when you make a recording.

If you really want to spread recording over two or more drives, the no-cost method is to use the "Recording Storage Pooler", as mentioned in an earlier post.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Thanks CyberSimian, went with the Recording Storage Pooler

FlatStanley

Post by FlatStanley » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:03 am

I don't want to put a damper on anyone's post here, but running raid 0 is a dangerous game, if you are storing anything of value. If so, make sure you have a good backup.

McGary

Post by McGary » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 am

FlatStanley wrote:I don't want to put a damper on anyone's post here, but running raid 0 is a dangerous game, if you are storing anything of value. If so, make sure you have a good backup.
That's equally true of simply recording to one disk -- you still need backups if you don't want to lose anything. RAID-0 indeed increases the probability of failure, but in essence it's just a "bigger, faster disk" with a higher probability of failure.

You an add some fault-tolerance to it by using RAID-10; or you can simply set up a backup profile that automatically backs up the recordings on a fairly frequent basis. My setup, for example, backs up the entire HTPC recording pool (9TB) to a fault-tolerant storage server with 30TB of space every night.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:50 pm

McGary wrote:
FlatStanley wrote:I don't want to put a damper on anyone's post here, but running raid 0 is a dangerous game, if you are storing anything of value. If so, make sure you have a good backup.
That's equally true of simply recording to one disk -- you still need backups if you don't want to lose anything. RAID-0 indeed increases the probability of failure, but in essence it's just a "bigger, faster disk" with a higher probability of failure.

You an add some fault-tolerance to it by using RAID-10; or you can simply set up a backup profile that automatically backs up the recordings on a fairly frequent basis. My setup, for example, backs up the entire HTPC recording pool (9TB) to a fault-tolerant storage server with 30TB of space every night.
I mostly agree with McGary here. However, using RAID-10 (or any RAID that provides fault-tolerance) is still not a replacement for backups. If your RAID controller fails, you're still out of luck unless you have a backup.

tletourneau

Post by tletourneau » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:25 pm

I recommend mirrored iSCSI SANs! :)
Thanks,
Tom