WMC 7 sleep mode and XBOX extender

tkeppell

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 7 sleep mode and XBOX extender

Post by tkeppell » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:31 pm

I have a WMC 7 PC connected to the TV in living room. I also have 2 XBOX extenders in the bedrooms. After someone finishes watching TV in the living room the PC is put to sleep mode (S3) via a programmable remote. At the same time anyone watching TV in the bedroom will loose the signal since the PC went to sleep. Is there a way to prevent WMC going to sleep when an XBOX is active in the bed room?

miracleed

Post by miracleed » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 pm

i use this to put my server to sleep. the xbox wakes it up no problem. i would work on your system so that your television/ receiver was shut off in the living room via your normal remote or power down procedure but it left your htpc running. if in that state wmc weren't being accessed by any exenders it should go to sleep on its own after an adjustable amount of time.

http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:22 am

I agree that you should not be manually setting the PC to sleep. Instead, just set the sleep timer to 15 minutes (or less) and it will sleep (and wake) when needed.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:41 am

If you have Away Mode setup correctly, you can manually press the sleep or power on/off/toggle buttons (on a keyboard, on a remote control, or even the button on the PC itself), and Windows will automatically enter Away Mode. In this mode, the PC actually stays ON, but just turns off the video output to the TV. Then, once all recordings are finished, and all extenders have been disconnected and/or turned off, the PC will go to sleep.

MCE Standby Tool (MST), as recommended in post #2, will set Away Mode for you automatically. Even if you don't use MST's active features, and you choose to uninstall it after you install it and run it the first time, it will still set your sleep/wake/Away settings correctly.

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 am

Really great tips on Away mode and the MCE standby tool. I need to have a look at both as I think that my mobo does not play nice in Win8.1, as it used to in 7. My PC may return to sleeping like it used to. :)