Thumbnails on Skip Forward

Graememac

HTPC Specs: Show details

Thumbnails on Skip Forward

Post by Graememac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:25 am

HI,

When using Media Centre, I used to be able to hold down the 'skip' button on the remote and a thumbnail would appear showing a still frame of the 30 second advanced point.
I could then press the 'skip' button again to advance the thumbnail another 30 seconds.
The rewind button would do the same but in 10 second jumps backwards.
Was very useful for advancing though Ads and finding the right spot to restart watching.

For some reason the thumbnails have stopped appearing.
Pressing the 'skip' jumps the playback forward 30 seconds regardless of whether I hold the key down.

Does anyone know why the thumbnails will have stopped appearing and how I can get them back?

Any help appreciated
regards
Graeme

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:37 am

Still works fine for me. Are you on Win 7 or Win 8? Have you installed anything new lately, like the Vista/Win7 plugin for EventGhost?

Graememac

Post by Graememac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:23 am

Using win7. No installs but did reinstall part of the solution.

I use the DVB Logic software to provide the feed to Media a Centre and I had a problem with its web based configuration pages (although the mc was still working fine - just couldn't get to the configuration) so decided to reinstall the DVB logic TVSource software.

Again that seemed to work fine, can now access the configuration pages and mc is working. It's just the 'skip' forward always jumps 30 seconds even when I hold the button. Damn annoying!

I did have this happen once before but can't remember how I resolved it.
I thought it was to do with the codec being used so have reinstalled coreavc (even tried buying the latest version) but that hasn't solved the issue. Although I must admit I'm not convinced coreavc is actually being used as no icon appears in the system tray when playing recordings. My knowledge of codecs etc though is pretty limited. Enough to be dangerous :-)

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Graeme

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 pm

I would look at anything that could interfere with the remote control. DVB Logic is a possibility, but I've never used it so can't say for certain.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:34 pm

You can edit how long a skip the ffwd button jumps. Maybe dvblogic amended that registry key, although i don't know why they would!
Lee

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm

milli260876 wrote:You can edit how long a skip the ffwd button jumps. Maybe dvblogic amended that registry key, although i don't know why they would!
He's not talking about how far it skips. He's talking about a trick play feature, where you can hold down the skip-forward button, and it will show small images along the timeline. After the small image displays, you can release the button and press it repeatedly to see images from other scenes. When you find the spot in the recording where you want to begin playing, you can simply press PLAY.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:09 pm

I don't think DVBLogic should be involved - MC just receives the stream as if from a physical tuner afaik (although mheg stuff doesn't get passed)....

Silly question: is this the same remote and IR receiver that you used when the feature worked OK? What make/model are they?

Are you using a third party video or audio codec for live TV?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Graememac

Post by Graememac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying.

Barnabas1969 - Thanks for the explanation of what I'm talking about. You've got it spot on.

holidayboy - Yes it is the same Remote and receiver. Just a standard MCE remote that came with the tuner card. Made in Mexico according to the label on the back. Has RC6 on the label and a US Patent nbr, but no make/model details.

Your question about 'third party video or audio codec for live TV?'
How do I know?

I agree with you that it should be unlikely to be DVBLogic as (like you) I think it just provides a stream to MC.
But, this behavior definitely stopped when I re-installed DVBLogic. So their install definitely did something.

My thinking (remember I know enough to only be dangerous - so could be way off) is that the stream being provided doesn't have enough info/data in it for the 'thumbnail' to be displayed.
One of the other things I've noticed is that when the 'skip' forward button is pressed, the sound skips forward but the picture takes a second or so to 'catch up'. It goes pixelated and then within a couple of seconds comes right. It didn't use to do this. The skip forward used to go bang straight to the +30 second point.

I have a vague memory of reading something once about the video frames having every nth frame being a 'key' frame (that contained all the data) and that other frames only have the changes (or something like that). I'm wondering if that's why we're getting the problem in that the thumbnails can only be generated if the source video stream has 'key' frames more regular (and perhaps every frame).
If this is along the right lines then the DVBLogic install could be causing a different type of stream to be generated from what was previously being generated. The question being, so how do we get it to go back to the previous stream format?

At this point I'm getting way out of my depth.
So hopefully someone can get me floating again :-)

Graeme

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:20 am

There is a program named Graph Edit (I think that's what it's called). It will show you what codecs are used to play a file.