Cannot Set Up Extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Bababohigh

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot Set Up Extender

Post by Bababohigh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:21 pm

I have 4 extenders (xbox) set up for over a year now, I recently noticed that one did not connect to the WMC PC. I went to run set up again on the extneder and keep getting "Cannnot Set Up Extender" error. I went to check on my other extenders only 1 is working, now 3 of 4 are not connecting to WMC PC. My connection is wired, I've enabled UPnP, I've reset the network settings on the xbox. Any help?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Start by verifying that the "Windows Media Center Extender Service" is running on your main system. Also, each extender has its own user account on your main system. Verify those accounts are still there. (Right click My Computer, select Manage and expand Local Users and Groups).
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Bababohigh

Post by Bababohigh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:38 am

I verified under the services that WMC Extender has started, I don't know much about this topic am I on the right path here? User accounts, I don't see an option to expand Local Users and Groups? Thanks for the help greatly appreciated...wife and kids are coming home, only 1 working TV the $&#t is going to hit the fan.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 am

Bababohigh wrote: User accounts, I don't see an option to expand Local Users and Groups?
Double-clicking on "Local Users and Groups" will expand it. Then click on Users.

Bababohigh

Post by Bababohigh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 am

Local Users and Groups is not an option under my system tools...Task, Event, Shared, Perfomance are the only options.

Bababohigh

Post by Bababohigh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:33 am

searching on the topic, I believe Local Users and Groups is not a feature available on W7-Home Premium. Is there another way to view the user accounts?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:54 am

Right, its only available in Professional Edition. Go to Control Panel->User Accounts

Bababohigh

Post by Bababohigh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 am

I can't find anything under user accts for anything but the main pc. The only place I can see where the xbox's show up is under Networking and Sharing Center, but still can't connect the other extenders...this is frustrating.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:19 am

On your main system, in Media Center, go to Tasks, Settings, Extender and uninstall the extenders that are not working. Then, log onto each extender that is not working and reset it to factory defaults. Then, re-add each extender to the main system.

Bababohigh

Post by Bababohigh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 pm

After some further reseach it appears the it was related to the IP address. I removed all the extenders, reset factory settings and tried to re-connect...no luck. I could still see that the extenders were not being recognized within the network (control panels > devices). I repeated the above along with a reboot of my router and bingo! Thanks for your help Scallica.

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Seems like a good place to post this in case anyone else is having problems. A couple of weeks ago one of my extenders lost its connection and could not reconnect. I looked at the Tasks Settings Extenders screen and the extender was there but with an ! mark (they all had that but the others would connect) which means it cannot detect the extender. I tried everything to fix this and in the end found an obscure post somewhere telling me to delete the homegroup on my system (remove all the pcs from the homegroup) and voila everything worked again.

So if your PC cannot detect an extender and you have an old homegroup delete the homegroup is a possible solution