Live TV in Media Browser 3

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Live TV in Media Browser 3

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Over at TDL they have a couple screenshots of the new Live TV functionality and Guide along with a little info.. Looking pretty sweet.. Can't wait.
As well as Windows Media Center support the developers are also looking at other TV providers like DVBLink and Nextpvr. They could do with extra help from developers to help with the project.
Check it out here: http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... -platform/
Media Browser 3 here: http://www.mediabrowser3.com/
newfiend~

duncane

Post by duncane » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Yeah I'm looking forward to testing this weekend!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:20 pm

duncane wrote:Yeah I'm looking forward to testing this weekend!
nice.. let us know your thoughts.. =)

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 am

I've already mentioned this in another thread, but this development would effectively make the NowTV box into a £10 extender, which would be amazing!
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:43 pm

and finally the end for wmc. well back end duties only for me

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:51 pm

bobbob wrote:and finally the end for WMC. well back end duties only for me
My thoughts exactly. ant wait to see it in action.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Is there ever going to be support for copy flagged channels? MB, JRiver, etc? How is it a valid replacement for WMC without HBO, etc...

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:58 pm

A lot of MC users have no copy protection to worry about, so it's pretty valid to us :)

Plus if Media Center is being used for the TV backend then copy protected content could be supported anyway I guess?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:41 pm

I believe the existing XBMC implementation of the WMC backend server they're using cannot play copy protected content :(

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:57 pm

No it can't

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Only thing you'll be able to do in time is launch wmc as an external player to mb3

werds

Post by werds » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:23 am

holidayboy wrote:A lot of MC users have no copy protection to worry about, so it's pretty valid to us :)

Plus if Media Center is being used for the TV backend then copy protected content could be supported anyway I guess?
Glad for some it will work well. Unfortunately for users like me, my current provider is diligent about flagging copy protected content... and my wife loves her HBO and Showtime - so without being able to playback that content MB3 TV is still a no go =(

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:52 pm

My only copy protected content are HBO and Showtime and these do not play through the live tv. Everything else seems to play very well with Live Tv through Media Browser. If they could ever get a license to play protected content it would truly be the all in one system, but we all know the cost and challenges of getting those licenses makes it not very likely. Though, since my cable provider allows access to HBO GO there is no real reason to watch that station live unless there is a boxing match on. Hopefully my cable provider will finally get Showtime Anytime soon and I'd really be set.

werds

Post by werds » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:20 pm

christoph86 wrote:My only copy protected content are HBO and Showtime and these do not play through the live tv. Everything else seems to play very well with Live Tv through Media Browser. If they could ever get a license to play protected content it would truly be the all in one system, but we all know the cost and challenges of getting those licenses makes it not very likely. Though, since my cable provider allows access to HBO GO there is no real reason to watch that station live unless there is a boxing match on. Hopefully my cable provider will finally get Showtime Anytime soon and I'd really be set.
Yea, if MB3 ever manages an addon to serve up HBO or Showtime through the single interface it might be worth a look.

duncane

Post by duncane » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi all, I've been playing with it a few times over the last couple days. It works very well in my (limited) testing, especially since I had it up and running within 5 mins! Ok so the Media Browser Server has been installed for months but the ServerWMC part (installed on WMC PC) and the Media Browser Plugin plus config of them both was done in under 5 mins. I shall keep testing...

TV Guide

Live TV on PC in Chrome

Live TV on Nexus 4 in Chrome

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Well, when you deliver the sports bar to the rest of the world we'll give you back drm free tv. Actually sports bar is defunct these days anyway

brantmacga

Post by brantmacga » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:46 am

not really familiar with media browser, but does this mean live TV will be available on the Roku MB channel?

duncane

Post by duncane » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Yip. That is the plan. The various client developers are working on the live TV plugins just now. No idea how long they will take though.
Cheers

brantmacga

Post by brantmacga » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:58 pm

duncane wrote:Yip. That is the plan. The various client developers are working on the live TV plugins just now. No idea how long they will take though.
Cheers

ok awesome. thanks.

ive been looking for a WMC replacement that allows streaming apps; this may be it!

exodus454

Post by exodus454 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm actually in the process of switching over to xbmc, uses the same live TV plugin that mb3 does. Ive been running it for probably 2 weeks now. Most of the cable channels here don't have any encryption issues surprisingly, when I was trying it out on a whim I was amazed that I get almost every channel that I do in wmc!

Its SO nice not having to turn on Xboxes lately! I've really been thoroughly impressed with it so far, even being still in active development and slightly buggy its still 10x more stable than media center and the extender setup. The quality of the live TV is much better, video and audio. Almost all pixelation/network stutters don't exist. Xbmc finally allows me to watch TV on something that doesn't say Microsoft in it which is delightful! I have live TV on my android phones/tablets and all my other windows PCs. I switched out the Xbox in my living room for an old PC which I tuned I into a temporary HTPC running openelec - basically a Linux distro built entirely around xbmc which makes it very embedded appliance-like. Boot times are just as fast as the xbox and it's working very well.

I'll keep my xboxes for awhile, but I'm investing in xbmc for now. Honestly with the addition of live TV now it's everything I always wanted out of wmc!

Watching TV and being able to stream a bluray iso without switching inputs is a completely awesome feeling :-D

The only thing I'm missing from xbmc right now is Netflix/amazon but I'm looking into www.playon.tv as a solution. Seems they support HBO go and a bunch of other services via DLNa as well. I'd be willing to shell out the $40 for lifetime access if it works well.

I was running mb3 before the TV addition but I find its library monitor to be pretty lackluster, although parts of the interface are definitely more polished.

I guess the next few weeks/months will show how robust this setup really is.