How do I make YouTube work?

n4mwd

HTPC Specs: Show details

How do I make YouTube work?

Post by n4mwd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:01 am

I had YouTube working before using MacroTube, but then it stopped working. Then I read to replace the XML files with new ones, and that fixed it for a little while. Now its not working again.

I have heard that MacroTube isn't supported any more, so I was wondering what people are using to play YouTube videos.

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:02 am

Relaunch + Chrome browser... It won't work with extenders, but is otherwise a decent solution. I also use for Pandora and Hulu Desktop.
Read this for an overview: http://windowsmediacenter.blogspot.de/2 ... media.html
-Alan

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:06 am

Maybe a better place to research the solution is here: http://www.barnesian.com/relaunch-2-02- ... r-updated/
-Alan

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I am on the right track, but I still haven't got it to work.

For one thing, Relaunch does not seem to work at all on Windows XP. I'm not sure why, but it seems to need .net for something so it wont run. So after figuring that out, I decided to try it on the media center itself. And it starts up OK.

I filled out the stuff and added the youtube icon from the old macrotube directory. Clicked ADD and exited. Then went to WMC and EXTRAS only has an EXTRAS LIBRARY so I clicked that and there was a Youtube button there. I clicked that and it just flashes the screen a few times and then returns to WMC.

Under appdata/local/relaunch I found where it put the YouTube icon and also created a file called youtube.exe. I clicked on youtube.exe and it just started WMC.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

I went to the youtube/tv web site and it plays just fine in firefox so I'm trying to use that instead of chrome.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 pm

You should consider upgrading to Windows 7. Windows XP isn't supported by MS anymore and there are lots of reasons to upgrade to WMC in Win 7.
newfiend~

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Yeah, you didn't mention XP before, I think you're out of luck. Relaunch needs .Net 4.x to work.
-Alan

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Yeah, I guess I wasn't that clear. Basically, my main computer is XP, which is where I download stuff at. The WMC is running on W7 on a dedicated box.

In any event, it looks like Relaunch has a bug that prevents it from working with Firefox even though firefox works fine with youtube/tv. I downloaded chrome and all is well with youtube and Relaunch is happy. I haven't checked the rest of the computer to see what havok chrome has unleashed, but I'm hoping its all OK.

I was able to get the Youtube icon to appear in the Extras menu by right clicking on the icon in the library and checking the line to put it in the menu.

The only problems I have with it so far is that the remote buttons don't work right. The CLOSE button works fine for going back to WMC. Anybody have any insight into getting the remote to work properly?

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 am

With Relaunch you get a couple of choices how to exit the app - if the app has a "natural" exit function (like the Hulu Desktop app has an "exit" menu item), you can use that. The default choice on Relaunch is the "menu" (or green button) approach, where you hit the remote "green Button" (or the "menu" button, not sure what you use for remote) - basically Relaunch aborts the app when WMC gets focus back.

BTW - using Chrome, you can wind up with Chrome's dumbish behavior where you can get a yellow banner on a restart due to an unclean browser shutdown. If you do, there's a few ideas on getting past it in the Pandora thread at http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=5479 (I use the approach of setting the chrome config file read-only).
-Alan

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 pm

It seems to be working OK except for the remote control buttons. Some work Ok and others do bizzare things. Like >> and << go to the next and last video in the search instead of changing the video time index. Is there a way to remap the RC buttons JUST for youtube so that they work properly?

This is a good workaround, but an actual integrated app like MacroTube would be better. The last time MacroTube went down, somebody posted a new XML file that fixed it. But then recently I guess something else broke that and nobody has posted a new XML file that makes youtube work again with macrotube.

Also, I noticed that Relaunch lists youtube/XL and not youtube/tv - the former is no longer supported.