HBO Channels messing up HDCP?

jsereda

HTPC Specs: Show details

HBO Channels messing up HDCP?

Post by jsereda » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm having an issue for the first time in a long time (years) with my HTPC. It's an interesting issue which I'm not sure where to check, maybe someone can chime in.
My setup consists of:
Comcast
Ceton Infinity 4
Win 7 Ultimate
Nvidia 7950GT

I'm not sure when this started happening, but it was sometime between the end of december and the middle of January.
Trying to tune to an HBO channel allows me to watch that channel. Once I try to tune away from the channel I get the "display driver error - the video playback device does not support playback of protected content" message on every channel I try to play. If I reboot, I can once again start playing any channel from the lineup, until I hit HBO, which I can watch, until I change the channel and again I get the protected content message for every channel.

I began troubleshooting......
updated all drivers and firmware for all my devices.
Uninstalled Playready, cleared out play ready directories and registry.
Uninstalled \ Reinstalled media center.
System Restore.
With nothing else I could do, I tried to reinstall my copy of Windows on a fresh hard drive. SAME PROBLEM.

Now what? I reached out to comcast to find out if they've implemented SDV which would force me to need a tuning device. They claim that they don't use SDV anywhere in their systems and tuning devices are not needed.
It's pretty apparent that Tuning to HBO breaks my HDCP handshake. The only way to recover is to reboot, but i've found another work around. I can disable and re-enable the ceton network connection in the network control panel applet.

Oh, and when running the Ceton diagnostic utility, it shows that I have the entitlement signals and can tune to the HBO channels.

Anyone have any ideas? If this has hit me, I'm sure others will see the issue come up as well.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 am

Is that HDMI or?
If it's not hdmi, how is the audio connected?
What is your display?
Is there an AVR between the display and 7950?
When the problem happens if you check hdcp status in the nvidia control panel what does it say?

jsereda

Post by jsereda » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 am

tzr916 wrote:Is that HDMI or?
If it's not hdmi, how is the audio connected?
What is your display?
Is there an AVR between the display and 7950?
When the problem happens if you check hdcp status in the nvidia control panel what does it say?
I'm running on DVI connected to a 25 inch monitor using my PC speakers, same setup as I've always used. It's an ASUS LED Monitor. I'm not sure what AVR is. Are you asking if all my equipment runs through a receiver? It does not.

As far as the HDCP status in NVidia control panel. I've never noticed it there and don't notice it now. Does that mean my system is not HDCP compliant? If so, why did it work for over 2 years with out a problem?

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:01 am

Model number of the ASUS LED 26in monitor?

Run this-
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:43 am

Also, have you installed any other software between time it worked and now? I've heard of some programs, particularly remote access programs, that install display mirroring drivers and can make WMC think the display is not HDCP secure.
-Alan

jsereda

Post by jsereda » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm

I'll try to get all that info today when I get home from work.
As far as installing any new software? No. I haven't changed a thing. Keep in mind, I installed windows fresh on a new HDD just to rule out any software conflicts and ended up in the same boat.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Try connecting using VGA. Initially, I did not think that VGA would work, since it is not protected, but it does. When FiOS started to flag HBO and Cinemax, I for sure thought we would need to switch to HDMI, but it works with VGA no problem!

Besides, on my TV, LG with faux 120 Hz refresh, i.e. soap opera effect that can not be turned off, VGA is the only input that does not apply soap opera effect. So, it was a win-win for us.

jsereda

Post by jsereda » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:50 am

ASUS VE247 is the model of the monitor.
It appears that I passed with the Cyberlink Utility.
I failed for the "Blue Ray disk drive: no found" and "Software Player:Not Found".
My video connection type passed with "Digital (with HDCP)."

:crazy:

jsereda

Post by jsereda » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Bump. Still don't know where to look to narrow down the problem. Ceton Card or Cable Company. I think a fresh install of Windows on a new HDD ruled out the OS.