Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH Limited by WMC to 4 tuners?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Ixax

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH Limited by WMC to 4 tuners?

Post by Ixax » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello folks. I've recently purchased and installed a Ceton Infinitv 6 Eth and am having a number of problems or concerns that I hope to get some guidance on. I am going to tackle things slowly as i try to work through the issues in the coming days before making a decision as to whether to return the 6 Eth unit. I really, really want it to work but we don't always get what we want. :crazy:

First, is it the case that the 6 Eth tuner should allow me to use all 6 tuners with Windows Media Center (WMC) running on Windows 7?

It seems that WMC has limited me to four tuners? I seem to have correctly completed the setup process. Yesterday I was able to schedule recordings with WMC and they did in fact record. I am hoping that this is something that is simple to correct.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Ixax wrote:Hello folks. I've recently purchased and installed a Ceton Infinitv 6 Eth and am having a number of problems or concerns that I hope to get some guidance on. I am going to tackle things slowly as i try to work through the issues in the coming days before making a decision as to whether to return the 6 Eth unit. I really, really want it to work but we don't always get what we want. :crazy:

First, is it the case that the 6 Eth tuner should allow me to use all 6 tuners with Windows Media Center (WMC) running on Windows 7?

It seems that WMC has limited me to four tuners? I seem to have correctly completed the setup process. Yesterday I was able to schedule recordings with WMC and they did in fact record. I am hoping that this is something that is simple to correct.

Yes you should have access to all six. Popular questions you will get are: What kind of CPU/Memory etc.. what extenders etc.. Ceton's install software is supposed to open the limitation up for you. Make sure you ran everything they wanted you to. I only can speak from what I have read. Someone who owns one I am sure will hook you up. But Yes you should have them all.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Did you run the Digital Cable Adviser in the Extras menu? Once you've done that rerun the TV tuner setup in WMC.

You did run the Ceton setup software, correct?

I just went through this.

Ixax

Post by Ixax » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:26 pm

mldenison wrote:Did you run the Digital Cable Adviser in the Extras menu? Once you've done that rerun the TV tuner setup in WMC.

You did run the Ceton setup software, correct?

I just went through this.
Did that. The Ceton Diagnostic Tool was installed. The four TV tuners work.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm out of ideas except for you got the CableCard paired with your TV provider?

What's the webpage show for the ETH? Any problems with tuning channels there on each tuner, and CableCard status.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:57 pm

My first install gave me four tuners. I rebooted and reinstalled the drivers a second time, which suddenly gave me all six tuners. I merely chocked it up to a fluke in the driver installation and did not worry about it again.

Ixax

Post by Ixax » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Which step should I repeat? The download from Ceton's website? The Digital Cable Advisor? Something I'm forgetting from setup?

I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow depending on what's happening. Just need to know which step(s) contains the fix. Thanks.

manielse

Post by manielse » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Tuner Salad increases this limitation to 32 per tuner type. I only have 3 tuners so I haven't had the need for it but heard good things in the past. Costs a few bucks.

http://www.mychannellogos.com/tunersalad-dl

Please let us know if this fixed your problem as I expect many more people will be getting a 6 tuner solution in the future.

--Mark

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 am

I have this problem all the time when I am setting up more then 4 tuners. This is what you need to do.

1) I assume you have already ran Digital cable advisor. If not, you need to run this
2) Exit Media Center
3) Bring up the Ceton Diagnostics program
4) Click on the devices tab
5) Click on Tuner Config. Wait until you get the popup saying this step is complete
6) Click on Discover Tuners. Wait until it says it's done
7) Go back into WMC & have it re-detect the tuners.
8) If it still says 4, exit WMC & go back to the diagnostics.
9) Click on Reset network settings
10) Repeat steps 5 -7
Ixax wrote:Which step should I repeat? The download from Ceton's website? The Digital Cable Advisor? Something I'm forgetting from setup?

I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow depending on what's happening. Just need to know which step(s) contains the fix. Thanks.

Ixax

Post by Ixax » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:06 am

I redid the setup starting with Ceton download. (Step 3) Ran the downloaded file and selected repair. (I think this was probably where the magic happened.)

Firmware was already updated. (Step 4)

Then redid the Digital Cable Advisor. (Step 5)

Then redid the TV Signal Setup. (Step 6)

It showed all six tuners for the first time.

I will now begin to retest things and see how things look. (Simultaneous recording, etc.) Thanks for the help so far from everyone!

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Ixax wrote:I redid the setup starting with Ceton download. (Step 3) Ran the downloaded file and selected repair. (I think this was probably where the magic happened.)

Firmware was already updated. (Step 4)

Then redid the Digital Cable Advisor. (Step 5)

Then redid the TV Signal Setup. (Step 6)

It showed all six tuners for the first time.

I will now begin to retest things and see how things look. (Simultaneous recording, etc.) Thanks for the help so far from everyone!

I had the same issue until I updated the firmware to then beta.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:29 pm

It was reinstalling the drivers that did it for me, took me from 4 to 6 tuners.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Boy, I am soooo glad that I saved my copy of the old, free, version of Tuner Salad that expands it to 8 tuners per type. From my reading, I think that the limit is simply a registry setting, but I've never tested that. It sure would be a shame if people are paying for something that can be done for free. Here's the registry patch... hope someone tries this to see if it really increases the limit to 8. Of course, the dword in the registry is in hexadecimal, so 8 decimal is 8 hex, but 30 decimal would be 1E in hex. 36 decimal would be 24 in hex.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\TVConfig]
"MaxTunerCount"=dword:00000008
Not sure if something also needs to be changed in the EPG database. I wonder if it's possible to simply add the MaxTunerCount key to the registry and then simply re-run TV Setup in Media Center. Maybe I'll test it some day...

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Looks like that's it. When I look at the registry entry for mine, it shows 32, which is the same number Ceton set the max for (I believe)
barnabas1969 wrote:Boy, I am soooo glad that I saved my copy of the old, free, version of Tuner Salad that expands it to 8 tuners per type. From my reading, I think that the limit is simply a registry setting, but I've never tested that. It sure would be a shame if people are paying for something that can be done for free. Here's the registry patch... hope someone tries this to see if it really increases the limit to 8. Of course, the dword in the registry is in hexadecimal, so 8 decimal is 8 hex, but 30 decimal would be 1E in hex. 36 decimal would be 24 in hex.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\TVConfig]
Not sure if something also needs to be changed in the EPG database. I wonder if it's possible to simply add the MaxTunerCount key to the registry and then simply re-run TV Setup in Media Center. Maybe I'll test it some day...

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:11 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Boy, I am soooo glad that I saved my copy of the old, free, version of Tuner Salad that expands it to 8 tuners per type. From my reading, I think that the limit is simply a registry setting, but I've never tested that. It sure would be a shame if people are paying for something that can be done for free. Here's the registry patch... hope someone tries this to see if it really increases the limit to 8. Of course, the dword in the registry is in hexadecimal, so 8 decimal is 8 hex, but 30 decimal would be 1E in hex. 36 decimal would be 24 in hex.

Can extender limit be upped in the registry as well?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:30 pm

I don't know. I've never found an answer to that. I'm not 100% positive that the MaxTunerCount will up the tuner limit without any other changes either... like I said, I haven't tested it. Maybe when I reinstall Windows on my desktop PC (I will be doing this in the next couple of months when I make some hardware changes to the desktop PC), I'll try changing that registry setting and see if the PC recognizes all 6 of my CableCARD tuners.

kiku

Post by kiku » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Not to dig up a dead thread, but having this issue.

I originally had 6 tuners show up on WMC. Long story short, original WMC system died. I moved the tuners (ETH6) to another temporary WMC machine. All was well.

I then rebuilt original WMC server, and wanted to move it back to this system. WMC said there were 6 tuners, but none were available as they were already assigned to another WMC.

I ran the Ceton diagnostics to reset the tuner assignment, and only 4 are being shown as available, the remaining 2 (out of 6) still show assigned to the temporary WMC system. I can't find a way to release those 2 remaining tuners from being assigned to the temporary WMC system, so i can reassign them to my permanent WMC server.

Any suggestions?

I rather not have to reset everything in my WMC server as I got it running "just right" and its stable. I just want to add the additional 2 tuners.

Thanks for any suggestions.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:20 am

This is what I do every time I get the "only 4 tuners are detected"

1) Close WMC
2) Open Ceton Diagnostics
3) Click on Devices Tab
4) Click on "Reset Network settings". If you are using the default Windows firewall, it might ask if you want to allow on the personal/home network. Click Yes
5) Click on "Clear Tuner Config". Wait until it comes back saying this is complete
6) Click on "Discover Tuners". Wait until this is complete.
7) Open WMC & try TV setup again.
kiku wrote:Not to dig up a dead thread, but having this issue.

I originally had 6 tuners show up on WMC. Long story short, original WMC system died. I moved the tuners (ETH6) to another temporary WMC machine. All was well.

I then rebuilt original WMC server, and wanted to move it back to this system. WMC said there were 6 tuners, but none were available as they were already assigned to another WMC.

I ran the Ceton diagnostics to reset the tuner assignment, and only 4 are being shown as available, the remaining 2 (out of 6) still show assigned to the temporary WMC system. I can't find a way to release those 2 remaining tuners from being assigned to the temporary WMC system, so i can reassign them to my permanent WMC server.

Any suggestions?

I rather not have to reset everything in my WMC server as I got it running "just right" and its stable. I just want to add the additional 2 tuners.

Thanks for any suggestions.

kiku

Post by kiku » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:15 pm

I went to my other wmc and launched the ceton diagnostics and reset tuner config. Then went on my current wmc and rediscovered tuners in ceton diag, and reran the wmc tv signal. It then picked up all 6 tuners.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 am

i just fixed Win7 WMC only allowing 4 Tuners with my Ceton InfiniTV 6 Ethernet, by doing the following after all else on this thread failed to fix it (but did inspired me ;) :

1. Re-ran already installed, "ceton_infinitv_setup_w7_sp1_13_06_03_1088.exe"
2. Selected "repair" option
3. Opened Ceton Diagnostics program
4. Clicked on Devices Tab
5. Clicked on "Discover Tuners" button (Note: did not click on "Reset Network" or "Clear Tuner" buttons.)
6. Opened WMC and 6 Tuners were detected. :)

ty again tgb!

Edit: i should have started out that all six tuners worked initially for several weeks and idk why WMC all of a sudden would only allow 4.