ETH6 Beware Static Electricity

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tzr916

HTPC Specs: Show details

ETH6 Beware Static Electricity

Post by tzr916 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:34 pm

My ETH6 sits on the top shelf of my metal/glass entertainment shelving unit along with my cable modem, router, switch, and Sirius radio dock. Sometimes I need to press buttons on the Sirius radio and, if my had comes close to the ETH6 or cable modem, I get a little shock of static electricity. The Sirius radio is plastic, where as the ETH6 and cable modem cases are metal. This morning I came too close to the ETH6, got a little zap, and it actually caused the thing to reboot :!: I guess I will move things around on the shelves so this won't happen again.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:36 pm

tzr916 wrote:My ETH6 sits on the top shelf of my metal/glass entertainment shelving unit along with my cable modem, router, switch, and Sirius radio dock. Sometimes I need to press buttons on the Sirius radio and, if my had comes close to the ETH6 or cable modem, I get a little shock of static electricity. The Sirius radio is plastic, where as the ETH6 and cable modem cases are metal. This morning I came too close to the ETH6, got a little zap, and it actually caused the thing to reboot :!: I guess I will move things around on the shelves so this won't happen again.
While this is very shocking news, I am not shocked to hear it. The echo does the same thing. Ouch! :thumbdown:

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Consider your self lucky that you did not fry it.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:42 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Consider your self lucky that you did not fry it.

Are you sure about that :lolno:

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:34 pm

I'm surprised it did that. It's hooked to your cable, which if installed properly, is grounded. That would explain the shock but not the reboot. Make sure your CATV has a good ground. The reboot could mean it found an easier route to earth through your network.