XBOX wont wake WMC PC

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
pduncan1963

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX wont wake WMC PC

Post by pduncan1963 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Have typical setup with three Xbox and Echo with the PC set to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. The echo, My Media program and Wake My Computer app on my phone all wake the PC from sleep..., but for some reason the Xbox will not. I can even wake my home computer from work via a magic packet sent from a remote website.

Anyone have an idea who the echo can wake the PC but Xbox wont?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Have you tried removing the Xbox as an extender and then re-adding it?

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:27 pm

Newfiend's suggestion is solid.

But assuming that doesn't work, can you give us a basic network setup. i.e. Does the Xbox connect to the same physical network switch/router as the WMC PC? The same goes for the echo...
I agree, that if the 360 can connect to the PC for extending, then it should be able to wake it...

Now for some wild speculation - this is just me thinking out loud. ;) So take most of the following as mindless babble of a Systems Engineer that sees all sorts of crazy/odd stuff on a daily basis working with Windows servers.

It's apparent that the NIC can receive and process a magic packet, and it is my understanding that this is done on the hardware layer - so any Windows firewall policies should not interfere... but let's assume that the Windows Firewall is interfering.
Let's say your PC is set up in the public network, rather than "home." This would make the windows firewall to be a bit more picky about the traffic it receives. The NIC gets the packet from My Media Center app - the MMC app runs as a service and there is a hole punched in the Windows firewall to allow it. So, MMC waking works.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Echo extenders also have some required software that runs on the WMC PC - Assume the same thing happens here. There is a service that runs listening for the echo on a specific TCP port. A port that has been punched through the Windows firewall. So, the echo works.

The 360 is just using the generic Media Center setup, so there may not be a special policy/rule created to get through the firewall in the event of a wake up request.
So, what I'm driving at here is - let's check what networking group your PC is set up for? Or maybe, check to see if the Windows firewall is set up in a restrictive mode.

Again... I'm making A LOT of assumptions here, so I expect the rest of the community here will point out any flaws in my logic.

**Edit - I re-read your post and missed the point about a magic packet from a remote website. That pretty much negates all the rambling that I just did. :oops:

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks for the advise guys. I deleted and added the extenders back again and it seems to have worked. It's strange that it only effected the xbox and not the echo or wake on lan. To answer your question, they are on the same Linksys gigabyte switch/cables and the PC is a dedicated HTPC. Running Windows 7 ultimate .

Thanks again for the suggestion. :D

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 pm

If you find you want a smoother way to handle this I suggest Lights Out. If nothing is connected it shuts down the server automatically. On my Win7 server I set Lights Out to monitor process's, so when eshell is running it fires up the server, this way it turns on whenever a WMC runs on a extender. When nothing is connected it sits in standby or you can shut it down ,though standby only consumes 3 watts. Lights Out has lots of config options built in and is reasonable in price. I tried it out for a month then bought it.

Richard

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:57 pm

pduncan1963 wrote:Thanks for the advise guys. I deleted and added the extenders back again and it seems to have worked. It's strange that it only effected the xbox and not the echo or wake on lan. To answer your question, they are on the same Linksys gigabyte switch/cables and the PC is a dedicated HTPC. Running Windows 7 ultimate .

Thanks again for the suggestion. :D
No problem, glad it was a simple fix. :D