IPv6 support?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
mikev

HTPC Specs: Show details

IPv6 support?

Post by mikev » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Wireless providers have been using carrier grade NAT for IPv4 for a while now, and many have added IPv6 support to their networks (Verizon Wireless and AT&T both support it, and I believe T-Mobile does too, at least partially). Comcast has taken the lead, with their network handling the most native IPv6 traffic in the world for the home end (and they're only about 75% done with their rollout!), while other cable companies are also in the top 10.

I've been running IPv6 on my home network for about a year now, and have two different Verizon mobile devices also capable of IPv6. I had tried using a hostname with only a AAAA DNS record for my WMC computer, then specified that in the app, but the app wasn't able to connect. This leads me to believe that at least one, but more likely both, of the pieces need IPv6 support to be added.

Is there any plan to add IPv6 support to the client and/or server where necessary for this to work? Or are both the client and server already IPv6 capable, and I need to look at something else in my setup?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm not aware of any plan to add IPv6 support in the short term.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:04 am

Ideally you could just specify the host name instead of ip and it should be able to handle the rest from there.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

SerialKilla

Post by SerialKilla » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:30 pm

I tried both letting the app search my network and find Media Center PC's (which there are two of)... Could not find either.

And, then I tried to manually add it by inserting the IP address..... Granted, like this gentleman said, I'm using an IPv4 connection.
I'm not sure why that doesn't work, but it can't seem to connect.

I'm really surprised you guys haven't added a set up video with suggestions on troubleshooting tips on there.

I am not sure why it specifies a given port in the default setup and I don't know anything about it... I wish there was a video explaining the setup process, but all we got is videos showing features from an already working app.