Watch live TV, how to record?

sdowney717

HTPC Specs: Show details

Watch live TV, how to record?

Post by sdowney717 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:45 pm

I see there is a white progress bar which you can seek.
But If I hit red record button, it starts recording but does not include the earlier video? It must be some temp file?
Do you have to seek to the beginning, then hit record?
Can you collect that earlier video?

Also what is the single red versus the multiple red dots at the beginning of the white seek line?

werds

Post by werds » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Unfortunately one of the drawbacks to the way Windows Media Center works. When you hit the record button it will only KEEP and record from the moment you started record. Yes the rest of it exists in a live tv buffer but when you hit record it creates a new file and the previous is not included in it.

One red button means records only that one specific scheduled episode. 3 red buttons together means it will record a "Series" of episodes for that particular show based on either pre-set criteria for recording under the Task settings for recordings or if you click into the info for that under scheduled recordings you can modify the paramaters for what shows within that series it records )for example all new episodes or all new and reruns, or from any channel the show runs on, or only douring a specific time, or on a specific channel, or maybe only SD or maybe only HD etc etc.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 pm

I could have sworn I've hit record and had it include the previous part of the show before, is it a WMC thing or maybe specific to the tuner used?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:11 am

It's a WMC thing. It's been a feature request for the last ten years. It won't happen now.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 am

LuckyDay wrote:I could have sworn I've hit record and had it include the previous part of the show before
There is a solution to this -- downgrade to Vista and use a tool from someone called "Spyn Doctor" to add support for saving the live-TV buffer. I have never used this tool, so cannot vouch for how well it works. Spyn Doctor frequented the German MC forums.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:36 pm

this is available using the wmc.pvr plug in for xbmc, it keeps the stream from the moment it started. doesn't help wmc but you must have started looking at alternatives by now

werds

Post by werds » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:28 pm

bobbob wrote:this is available using the WMC.pvr plug in for xbmc, it keeps the stream from the moment it started. doesn't help WMC but you must have started looking at alternatives by now
cool, didn't know that existed, I keep wanting to try XBMC or alternatives but until they can handle HBO, Showtime, etc I just can't without ending up in the doghouse for an extended period of time...