Echo keeps losing config/connection on each power cycle

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
aweber

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo keeps losing config/connection on each power cycle

Post by aweber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:12 pm

I had this problem almost a year ago, and we never resolved it, though it mysteriously went-away after running Windows Update and patching some generic Windows 7 stuff.

Suddenly my Echo can not connect to my HTPC/WMC on Win7 x64. It says "Connecting..." and eventually times-out and displays an Extender code for me to enter on my PC.

If I go to my HTPC and chose Add Extender and enter the code it will ALWAYS fail on the second step. Eventually it'll say "Configuration Error". If I run the same Add Extender again, it will ALWAYS work and re-add the Echo. However, it will lose the configuration as soon as you power cycle the Echo again. It's extremely frustrating, and makes the Echo borderline useless, because I can't use it unless I have time to run up and down stairs to re-configure it every time.

I have tried running the Collect Diagnostics on my HTPC -- which has an InfiniTV pci card installed -- but it keeps failing too saying "Unable to save result, please try again." (no matter where I try and save the zip file). InfiniTV firmware is 1.2.2.6, H/W is 6829, if it matters.

Has anyone else reported this issue and found a way to resolve it???

Thanks

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Try reserving an IP address for it in your router.

aweber

Post by aweber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:30 pm

It gets an ip address without issue (and I don't think it's changed).

Reserving the address doesn't do much. Is there an issue with the address changing? I can set a static address in it, but that's not a great resolution ( but I would do it if it was a known fix).

Appreciate the response.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:31 am

I don't know. All I know is I have 4 Echos with reserved IP's and have never had an issue like yours. It's worth a shot if nobody offers any other solution.

In any case, I think the issue is with your network or router rather than the Echo.

Polen

Post by Polen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:30 am

Might be a firewall issue.

Polen

Post by Polen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:33 am

also check your homegroup and sharing options.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:09 pm

This really does sound like an IP address issue. Make sure that the IP address of the Extender listed in WMC matches the actual IP. Try to open the Echo web page. Reserving the IP address is a good idea.

aweber

Post by aweber » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:41 pm

I have rebooted the Echo multiple more times. It consistently has the same IP Address. Even if it didn't, I'd be a little shocked that WMC requires its extenders to maintain the identical IP Address throughout the lifetime of the device(s)...that would be really poor design (on MSFT's part). But again, it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Furthermore, as I mentioned in my original post, it doesn't explain why the Echo can't be added as an extender (ever) the first time I try and add it through the WMC "wizard"...but ALWAYS works the second time I try and add it. To be clear, I leave the Echo on, in the same state, and just try and run the wizard in WMC twice. The second time it always works, the first time it always doesn't.

To the other replies (and I thank you all for trying to help) -- there is no h/w firewall on the network between the HTPC and the Echo, and since it always connects the second time (and appears to then work until power-cycle), the Windows Firewall must be OK.

The network between the two is Gigabit Ethernet (wired).

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 pm

In that case, I think you should open a ticket with Ceton and possibly exchange your Echo. Everything else seems to be in order. If the new one doesn't work, then something is up with your PC.

I'm grasping at straws, but could UPnP have anything to do with it?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 pm

I could get the same results with an xbox when I did not manually add the IP and just let the DHCP obtain the info. It is as if the IP info comes too late on the first try to the media center. Then when you do it again via the wizard it is obtained and all is good. Are you using a managed switch. Plenty of issues happen with them and settings need to be made. You can search the forum for 'managed switch echo' and probably see what I am talking about. Its been so long and I have subconsciously removed the info from my brain. Another thing to tell us, is if when the echo comes on do you see the IP info immediately or does it take a few seconds to pop up? That would mean change your switch to another one if you end up telling us it is an unmanaged switch. Hope that helps but reserve the IP for it no matter what.

This switch works great with echos and it is under $20 bucks after a rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSafe-G ... NHXRXKEDK9

aweber

Post by aweber » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 pm

I reserved an address for my xbox because the list of ports it needed to get through my firewall was kinda crazy, so I set a rule to allow it unfettered access outgoing. I have never actually added it as an extender, because I never really thought I'd use it that way.

When it boots, the IP Address is there right away...if it wasn't, I would totally be on-board with troubleshooting it further in that direction. I still will try manually assigning it to see if it helps. I have what might be considered web-managed-switches in play, but I think they're all set to "unmanaged mode". I'll google that topic in any case...I appreciate that heads-up.

@mdavej: I don't know why uPnP would do anything here -- especially since it was working "perfectly" for months, then suddenly stopped working (and I didn't have any kind of network change or outage of any kind in between) -- but I appreciate the continued ideas.

aweber

Post by aweber » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:29 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:This switch works great with echos and it is under $20 bucks after a rebate.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSafe-G ... NHXRXKEDK9
Appreciate the advice. I have a Dell 2708 in the room with my HTPC, and a Dell 2724 in the basement, and both are almost "full". Five ports isn't going to cut it here! ;)

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Sometimes the better the switch; the worse the performance on the echo. Go figure? I have cisco 2940's in the basement but I put these netgears between the echos. Just works better for me. Hope you get them running.

aweber

Post by aweber » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:16 pm

I have noticed that each time this happens, the "Extender ID" that the Echo pops-up for me to enter in WMC (that 4digit-4digit thing) is almost always different.

Is that correct behavior??? I would've assumed these Extender IDs are generated by something static (like MAC Address or something) and would not change.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Yes that is the correct behavior. If they were the same they would not prompt you and everything would be great. That's how you want it. Something is triggering the new pairing codes which is why you have this headache. Any luck since?