No synopsis/description displayed for movies

EBH

HTPC Specs: Show details

No synopsis/description displayed for movies

Post by EBH » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:46 pm

I have just installed Media Center Master and use it to update the meta data for my movie library. My movies are located on a server in a dedicated folder. Each movie is is its own sub folder. All sub folders have XML files created by MCM.
But, most movies don't show any description when I select them in Movies within media center.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Ben

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 pm

open Media Center Master
Click Application then Settings and Preferences.
Metadata tab
check the box that says Generate Windows Media Center "Video Library" metadata (dvdid.xml etc...)
then rerun Media Center Master for your library and let it create the dvdid.xml's for your library.
newfiend~

EBH

Post by EBH » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Newfiend,
I've done that, and the dvdid.xml files are there, but no info appears in media center movies. I just says "no synopsis available".

Ben

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:20 pm

EBH wrote:Newfiend,
I've done that, and the dvdid.xml files are there, but no info appears in media center movies. I just says "no synopsis available".

Ben
does it do this for just the movies on the server? how about local content?

EBH

Post by EBH » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:49 pm

All my movies are on the server. Only local content is recorded tv which has proper meta data.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 am

EBH wrote:All my movies are on the server. Only local content is recorded tv which has proper meta data.
Are you using Windows 7 or 8?
I just loaded up my Media Collection in WMC on my Desktop PC. In the default Movie Library my synopsis was not showing as well.
I was able to fix it by deleting all the .XML files within the movie folder and then having MCM refetch the metadata (creating a new .XML file for the movie). It could be that the .XML(s) is corrupt in some way? But after deleting and refetching the .XML it displayed fine in WMC (windows 8) for me.

EDIT: I can confirm it is a issue with corrupt .XML(s) in the movie folders. Possibly created by an older version of MCM. I easily fixed this by opening the folder that contains all my movies. In the search I typed .XML. Once it found them all I selected them all at once and deleted them. Opened MCM, clicked on Media, then re-fetch all media titles. This creates all new .XML's and they all now work for me in the default Movie Library in WMC. :D
HTH,
newfiend~

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:20 am

UPDATE
EDIT #2: I noticed that after doing a refresh of all the .XML's that it stopped displaying the synopsis again. I think what is happening is (at least for me) is that not only is Media Center Master creating a .XML file but also YAMMM is creating one as well and placing it within the folder. YAMMM is part of Ceton's My Media Center app. If you are using that as well open the My Media Center Configuration in Windows. Click on the Advanced Tab and uncheck Windows Media Center Under the Create the following Metadata information files. What is happening is both YAMMM and MCM are both making .XML's and it is causing a conflict when WMC is trying to display the synopsis. If I delete the .XML that YAMMM creates it then displays the synopsis again in WMC Movie Library.

You will have to delete the .XML's created by YAMMM so only the ones created by MMC are left in each folder for it to work again. The .XML I deleted is the one highlighted in Blue at the top of the first picture.

Examples Below:
folder .XML's.PNG
File with YAMMM .XML at top.
blank synopsis.PNG
Synopsis with both .XML's in file
.XML Deleted.PNG
Here is the file after deleting the YAMMM .XML
Last edited by newfiend on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:45 am

Synopsis Working.PNG
Synopsis Fixed.

EBH

Post by EBH » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 am

Thanks. I'll try that. I have actually uninstalled YAMMM as it had stopped working. But there ares still some .xml files left over.
Ben

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:49 pm

Give it a try. It worked for me. Hope it does for you as well. :D I emailed the developer of YAMMM about this issue I'll let you know if there is a workaround for this in case you want to use the MMC app for metadata in the future. I never had this problem as I use media browser and it displayed all my metadata fine. Seems only the WMC default movie library has the issue with multiple .xmls in the folder.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Just curious, but why would you use Media Center Master to create the XMLs manually when YAMMM does it automatically? Just wondering if I am missing out on something.

EBH

Post by EBH » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:08 pm

In my case, YAMMM stopped working several months ago and I haven't managed to get it working again.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:50 pm

I don't use the movie library in WMC anymore. I use Media Browser 3. With MCM I have control over my artwork etc. for use with MB3. I also use Ceton's my media center app on my phone and tablet. YAMMM is bundled together with it. I let YAMMM create its own .xml so my movies in the ceton app have metadata as well. I don't know if the MMC app can read metadata provided by MCM so I had both in each folder. I'm waiting on a response from mikinho who developed YAMMM to see if leaving YAMMM disabled will still allow the ceton app to display movie metadata provided by MCM. Hope that makes more sense now.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Gotcha, thanks!