MC remote not recognized after XBOX 360e goes to faded mode

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
gary94080

HTPC Specs: Show details

MC remote not recognized after XBOX 360e goes to faded mode

Post by gary94080 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

(I also posted this on the "official Green Button" site, so someone at MS might get wind of it)

I went back a few pages and didn't see a similar post.

so here is the situation, I use the 360 e mostly as a WMC extender, after a period of time with no input the xbox will fade the screen. if it is short enough the white media center remote will wakeup the xbox.

after a long period, like overnight when I wake up the next morning after falling asleep, the xbox will not recognize the white remote. it will recognize a game controller and be shut down with the controller.

when I next try to power up the xbox it will still not recognize the white remote, but will power up for the game controller. after power up the white remote is recognized and fully functional again.

so it seems like there is a software bug that wipes out the white remote recognition when the 360 e goes into deep sleep as a WMC extender since it returns after restart.

I don't have this happen with the 360 "white" or the 360 slim.

has anyone else noticed this?

update since I posted this on the Windows site:

I have done a couple of experiments and can confirm that the white remote is not recognized after the xbox goes into faded mode for an extended period of time.

I have not been able to duplicate the white remote not being recognized after the xbox has been woken up by a game controller.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:25 pm

I don't know what 'faded mode' is as we've never let the Xbox Slims idle in WMC long enough to trigger it (because it uses too much juice, mainly). I thought the only auto-off options were configured in the system settings and that they powered it down when the timer expires. We power ours off after every WMC session using the remote and it always comes back on with it afterwards.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:06 pm

if the system isn't playing "live" tv or a recorded program and hasn't had any remote input for a certain length of time the screen will fade until it gets input from a remote or game controller.

some time back there was a software problem where this would happen even while the system was playing. I believe that was fixed in an update.