Home Repair Forum

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
woodchuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Home Repair Forum

Post by woodchuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:53 pm

You guys have any suggestions on a good home-DIY forum? I have some weird pipe banging issues that I'd love to run by someone.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:04 pm

woodchuck wrote:I have some weird pipe banging issues that I'd love to run by someone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hammer
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks but I need a forum to ask some questions. The problem I have isn't water hammer. Or it is some weird variation of it if it is. The trigger for mine is simply temperature. No water valves on anywhere, but when the temperature outside gets below 35F at night, I get a single bang in the wee hours of the morning. I'm thinking it may be the shrinkage of the copper pipes in the cold under the house and a sticky hold down clamp somewhere. That's my current theory anyways.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 am

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:15 pm

thanks!

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 pm

woodchuck wrote:Thanks but I need a forum to ask some questions. The problem I have isn't water hammer. Or it is some weird variation of it if it is. The trigger for mine is simply temperature. No water valves on anywhere, but when the temperature outside gets below 35F at night, I get a single bang in the wee hours of the morning. I'm thinking it may be the shrinkage of the copper pipes in the cold under the house and a sticky hold down clamp somewhere. That's my current theory anyways.
Does your house have PVC waste pipes, or PEX supply pipes?

PVC expands and contracts with temperature, and can not be affixed rigidly. It has to have the room to expand and contract.

If that is the cause, when you turn on the hot water, you should hear similar bang in a few minutes, as the pipe expands. Someone may have put a support clamp on it too tight.