Roku 3

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Roku 3

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Just picked up a handful of these over the holiday. Was hoping someone can shed some light as to 'Private Channels'? How do you find them? Are they legal? etc.. Also I see the PLEX channel which I think has been around for awhile. So I imagine it is stable and nice, but I see the Media Browser 3 has a channel too? Is that channel fairly new and is it comparable to PLEX? Thanks.

Also found this article many may want to read:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/28/roku ... _truncated

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:47 pm

I ventured to the roku forums. They supply all that is needed. I would imagine roku does not get much love on this forum :( Looks good though.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:52 pm

I had a Roku 2 xs to play with over the holiday and definitely liked it. If I were a "cord cutter" I might strongly consider it. The interface is really nice and there are tons of apps.

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:52 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:I ventured to the roku forums. They supply all that is needed. I would imagine roku does not get much love on this forum :( Looks good though.
I just got my first Roku. So far so good. Not even sure of what good apps to look for. I have used amazon so far. What are the cool, must have apps?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:15 am

Did you guys happen to see my thread here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =22&t=6583

I just got a Roku 3 for Christmas too.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:06 am

I bought a Sky NowTV box a few months ago. It's basically just a rebadged bottom end Roku, but is ridiculously cheap at only £10.

The + points for me:
* Dirt cheap
* "Just works"
* iPlayer, 4oD and Demand 5 without any subscription (it was losing iPlayer in 7MC that pushed me into getting this)
* Vevo is getting an unexpected amount of use
* The parts that push you get a Sky subscription are not too intrusive

The - points:
* The custom Sky interface isn't as good as the native Roku interface
* No YouTube
* I knew there was no ethernet port, but I was hoping it'd be 5Ghz wifi. Sadly not

All in, an absolute bargain.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Well, so far, I really like the Netflix interface. The transport controls in the Roku 3 Netflix interface are just as good as they are in Media Center, which is the primary reason I like the Media Center interface. The Netflix interface for finding a movie/show to watch is different and will take some time to get used to.

I haven't tried YouTube on the Roku 3. YouTube isn't something we use much on the TV.

Crackle looks nice, but I wonder how often new content is added.

Not sure if I would pay for Hulu Plus. The content is fairly limited compared to Netflix, and almost the same price. Also, it's not clear what you really get with the paid version of Hulu above what you get for free.

Some of the news channels are good, especially those from the UK, such as Sky and BBC news.

I haven't experimented with private channels yet.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:23 pm

If you watch Netflix on Roku, I've found this to be a worthy way to spend a couple of bucks:

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/ ... ch-browser

gcw07

Post by gcw07 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:59 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Also I see the PLEX channel which I think has been around for awhile. So I imagine it is stable and nice, but I see the Media Browser 3 has a channel too? Is that channel fairly new and is it comparable to PLEX? Thanks.
The MB3 channel has been in a private channel for over 6 months now. It just now hit the Roku store though a couple weeks back. So it should be pretty stable too. I'd say they are pretty comparable for watching TV/Movies. I am however biased towards Media Browser and especially the MB roku channel.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:02 am

gcw07 wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:Also I see the PLEX channel which I think has been around for awhile. So I imagine it is stable and nice, but I see the Media Browser 3 has a channel too? Is that channel fairly new and is it comparable to PLEX? Thanks.
The MB3 channel has been in a private channel for over 6 months now. It just now hit the Roku store though a couple weeks back. So it should be pretty stable too. I'd say they are pretty comparable for watching TV/Movies. I am however biased towards Media Browser and especially the MB roku channel.

Biased? I should hope so [WINKING FACE]

I've only tried the mb3 app on my nowtv it's pretty good. I don't/haven't used plex tho...
Lee