HDMI - High Pitch Sound When Exiting 7MC

ryeandi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ryeandi » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:25 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:To add a little bit of context to this... have you ever tried to play a CD that has been encoded with DTS surround on a CD player that cannot handle that method of encoding? If so, does your TV sound like that? I'm willing to bet that your problem is something to do with the decoding capabilities of the TV versus the encoding capabilities reported by the TV.

EDIT: Basically, the sound I am describing sounds like the "squeal" that is made by an old modem on a plain old telephone service (POTS) line.
I didn't mention this before but upon hitting the "configure" button I only can choose stereo. It's constantly selected being the only option. However, with your suggestion and me double checking the stereo setting, I did find a solution. Going into properties for the TV sound, in the advanced tab I set it to 16-bit 32000 hz (FM Radio Quality) and the sound problem went away and hasn't resurfaced. Any of the other 6-7 higher quality options produce the horrible sound. I will eventually be running sound through a seperate amp but for a few months I'll be using the TV speakers only. I'm guessing the sound quality of WMC media will be less than perfect until then.

As to the sound description. I haven't heard the DTS/CD player sound. I describe it: You know the sound that a over-the-air TV channel makes when the station has stopped broadcasting? That, but slightly lower in pitch. Equally as annoying though.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 am

I've heard high pitched digital squeal when low end HDMI switches are used. Are you sure you don't have anything between the HTPC and the TV? Can you barrow or try any other TV for a test?

gbhinfo

Post by gbhinfo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:04 am

Try unplugging you microphone (and headphones if necessary) from your PC. It worked for me.