Two Echo / WMC Start Questions Please

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:03 pm

While HP is one of a few universal-ish remotes (the old Xbox remote being another) that work well with a TV, keep in mind it can't do what cheaper universals can, like control several devices besides your extender and TV, activity macros, keyboard remapping, shifted functions, volume punch through for an AVR, multi-macros, device specific macros, discrete codes, etc. So while it's a simple solution, the same money can get you a lot more functionality if you get a real universal remote. That's something to consider if you have more than just a TV and extender to control.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:57 pm

I agree with mdavej, mostly. Except that all those shifted functions and stuff get too confusing on most remotes. That's why I prefer touch-screen remotes... especially the AR-RX18G. The touch screen allows you to program a bunch of less frequently used functions, and then just swipe through screens of buttons until you find the one you want, which will actually be labeled correctly as opposed to using the same hard button for several different commands.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I actually use the 18G myself with my main system. Cheaper models, however, work great in my simpler systems in other rooms. I use the 12G in some of those cases as it still has a screen but no RF. The main reason I didn't mention really nice universal remotes is because they are so expensive. I never spend more on a remote than the cost of the device it's controlling. I'm simply incapable of doing that. In many cases, a really good remote will cost more than an Echo or Xbox yet work only marginally better than a far cheaper remote.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 pm

When i bought the first RX18G, I think I paid $149 at Best Buy. At the time, the competing Harmony was close to $300. I picked up another one, used, on e-bay for about $70. A week or two ago, I picked up another used one on e-bay, without the charging stand, for $50.

The first one is still working fine in my living room. The 2nd one is in my master bedroom. The 3rd one will be for a kid's room (Christmas). Planning to buy a few more for the other kids' rooms as money permits.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:14 pm

I picked my first Xsight years ago from the UK before they were being sold in the US, late 2008 I think. It's a One-for-all URC-8603 over there, IIRC. I played with it for a bit, but the software was horrible at that time so I got rid of it. Fast forward a year or so, I picked up a US version of the 15G. Software was slightly improved, but not much. That model was very bulky and ate batteries for lunch. Sold that one too. Then a couple of years ago I pick up an 18G for about $50. Major bugs were finally gone, and Remote Master integration was on the horizon. I held on to that one and picked up a few others after that. Now that Remote Master is working fairly well, I'm please with it at last. I think I have 2 or 3 spares in my closet for when my main one dies. I really have no complaints except that it's easy to accidentally touch a command or touch the wrong command. Otherwise, programming capabilities are stellar, as is battery life. Runs circles around similar Harmony models like the 900 in just about every respect. I'm glad I don't have to deal with Harmony much anymore.

When you shop ebay, realize that the 18G, Nevo C3 and European URC-8603 are all the same remote and will work fine with the US ez-rc site. Also realize that Nevo RF bases (REX-433) also work fine with the 18G. I once picked up one of those for $10 shipped, no joke. Seller apparently had no idea what he had.

Madcodger

Post by Madcodger » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:00 am

So, an update... I was in Best Buy to pick something up yesterday, and noticed they had a Sony remote that allowed learning from old remotes. Picked it up to see if I could make some headway, and Wow! It works perfectly! In fact, it's much better than the original Ceton Echo remote. With it, I had to point the remote directly at the Echo. With the Sony, anything in the general area of the Echo results in it working. A great find, for under $30. Excellent!