Moving to a new house in the same city - any setup issues?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
WindowsHTPC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Moving to a new house in the same city - any setup issues?

Post by WindowsHTPC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:10 pm

I am moving to a new house but in the same city - maybe 7-10 miles away. Both are time warner. Unfortunately I was unable to convince them to just turn the cable/inet on and let me worry about it working... so they have to roll truck.

Problem:
I don't have any vacation time left so I might have to take time off unpaid to be there.

Questions:
Is there any way to convince them not to send a truck?
Will the card need to be re-activated by calling the cable activation line? I asked TWC and they said maybe.
Is there any other issues I'm not thinking about?

Statement:
Moving sucks!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Customer service sucks!

It probably depends on several factors, so I can't tell you for certain. I have moved from one place to another and moved a cable box without a truck roll, and it worked fine. But I haven't done it (yet) with CableCARD.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:38 pm

If the cable service has been cancelled at your new house by the previous homeowner, you'll need a truck roll. When a customer cancels service, they eventually go to the node you're attached to and physically disconnect the wire.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Scallica has a point. I seem to remember the person on the phone asking me to check the signal at the new place or something like that.

WindowsHTPC

Post by WindowsHTPC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Scallica wrote:If the cable service has been cancelled at your new house by the previous homeowner, you'll need a truck roll. When a customer cancels service, they usually go to the node you're attached to and physically disconnect the wire.
Yes I am pretty sure they had satellite so there would have been no cable service.

good point... thanks

I haven't even looked for the box where the cable comes in. Back in college that was the first thing I'd look for at a new place. However I was too poor to pay for cable back then, so I had to be the installer. heh.

I will check for a signal tomorrow night... the installer dude (has anyone ever seen a female installer??) comes on Friday.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:37 am

man, the paranoia due to complete lack of understanding of the technology. Their customer service doesn't know what they're doing, eh?

If you turn off and unplug the PC in your house, and move it to another room in your house, do you have to set up the cableCARD all over again? No.

There is no difference between doing that and moving the PC a farther distance--say, 7-10 miles. As long as you're plugging in to the same service provider, you're good to go.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:16 am

adam1991 wrote:As long as you're plugging in to the same service provider, you're good to go.
Not always. CableCards only work on the head end system that they are registered to. The new location, although only a short distance away, may be on a different head end system, and the card won't work until it is registered there.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:36 pm

WindowsHTPC wrote:I am moving to a new house but in the same city - maybe 7-10 miles away. Both are time warner. Unfortunately I was unable to convince them to just turn the cable/inet on and let me worry about it working... so they have to roll truck.

Problem:
I don't have any vacation time left so I might have to take time off unpaid to be there.

Questions:
Is there any way to convince them not to send a truck?
Will the card need to be re-activated by calling the cable activation line? I asked TWC and they said maybe.
Is there any other issues I'm not thinking about?

Statement:
Moving sucks!
This would be a lot easier if you gave the location and the cable company. Some companies (like TWC) have a "moving" option and they'll transfer service for you. If there is no physical installation at the new location, then you'll need an installer, if there was an existing installation, TWC usually allows you to plug in equipment you pick up from the cablestore. If the cableCARD is already provisioned (staged) for the headend serving this location, then it will work without doing anything. If it is a different service area (and sometimes with TWC this can also mean different equipment such as Cisco vs Moto) you'll have to get another cableCARD which they'll give you at the cablestore when you return the one you have.

But all this is speculation without more information since all the companies have different policies and operate different equipment and service levels. You also don't mention if you have SDV in your area or not.

If you have a drop and no signal, many cable companies can make it HOT for you and whether they want someone home or not is a local policy issue.