Constant Windows Firewall Messages in Event Viewer

choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Constant Windows Firewall Messages in Event Viewer

Post by choliscott » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:36 am

Hi Everyone,

I noticed after configuring my HTPC with 11 tuners (2 Ceton Pci & 1 HD HR Prime) that I'm constantly seeing the following message in Event Viewer. However prior to me adding the HD HR, I'm seeing no mention of it. Has Anybody seen this?

There are other variances of this also.

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Windows Firewall With Advanced Security/Firewall
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Windows Firewall With Advanced Security
Date: 12/3/2013 12:09:24 AM
Event ID: 2005
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: (2199023255552)
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: TV-PC
Description:
A rule has been modified in the Windows Firewall exception list.

Modified Rule:
Rule ID: {2BFDF6C5-EA19-4714-B088-18B957DEF862}
Rule Name: TV Tuner Device (WMDRM-Out)
Origin: Local
Active: Yes
Direction: Outbound
Profiles: Private,Domain, Public
Action: Allow
Application Path:
Service Name:
Protocol: UDP
Security Options: None
Edge Traversal: None
Modifying User: SYSTEM
Modifying Application: C:\Windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:34 pm

My guess is that you see this message every time the tuner gets a new IP address from your DHCP server (which is probably your router). Set a static IP assignment for the tuner in your router's DHCP settings.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:23 pm

I've already did this sometime back. In fact after I did my last couple Win7 installs, the IP address of the machine is the static one that I set.

One thing that I did try last night was installing Norton 360 (Pretty much something with a different firewall) & the result I saw was different between night & day. I was able to get all the shows scheduled, with only a couple taking around 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Also when I did a reboot, the computer started to record about 12 minutes later & when I pressed the record button, it started to record right away. I figured while I was at it, that I would try using all the tuners & once I got to the last one, it showed ALL tuners were in conflict, not just some.

Mind you this is with 10 tuners installed. However I'm not ready to claim victory just yet as this isn't the final tuner config that I want to go with.
barnabas1969 wrote:My guess is that you see this message every time the tuner gets a new IP address from your DHCP server (which is probably your router). Set a static IP assignment for the tuner in your router's DHCP settings.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:15 pm

choliscott wrote:I've already did this sometime back. In fact after I did my last couple Win7 installs, the IP address of the machine is the static one that I set.

One thing that I did try last night was installing Norton 360 (Pretty much something with a different firewall) & the result I saw was different between night & day. I was able to get all the shows scheduled, with only a couple taking around 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Also when I did a reboot, the computer started to record about 12 minutes later & when I pressed the record button, it started to record right away. I figured while I was at it, that I would try using all the tuners & once I got to the last one, it showed ALL tuners were in conflict, not just some.

Mind you this is with 10 tuners installed. However I'm not ready to claim victory just yet as this isn't the final tuner config that I want to go with.
barnabas1969 wrote:My guess is that you see this message every time the tuner gets a new IP address from your DHCP server (which is probably your router). Set a static IP assignment for the tuner in your router's DHCP settings.
Something is very wrong with your setup. I don't have those problems. New recordings schedule within a couple of seconds, and I can start a recording on all 10 of my tuners without a problem.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm not exactly sure what would be messed up as I've practically changed out everything (Motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drive, etc). I will say most of the shows scheduled within a few seconds. The shows that I saw longer response on are the series that say "and 50+ other episodes" (+ meaning 50 or higher), after doing a search for a show.

For example SpongeBob is one of shows that fit this that gets recorded as a series. This one took a little longer then a couple of seconds to setup. I also have some other series that have "and 50+ other episodes" that get recorded (on any channel).

Most, if not all of the series are set to record "New & Repeats" & "Any Channel"

barnabas1969 wrote:Something is very wrong with your setup. I don't have those problems. New recordings schedule within a couple of seconds, and I can start a recording on all 10 of my tuners without a problem.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:26 pm

If I remember to do it, I'll schedule Sponge Bob and let you know how long it takes. I do have a few shows scheduled that repeat pretty frequently. Those are usually setup by my kids. When I notice a bunch of new episodes of something, I'll usually change the series settings to limit the days/time/channel so that it doesn't record so many of them. There's really no need to record 100's of episodes of something.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:03 am

Well I figured I would post an update. After seeing all the different Firewall messages in the Event viewer, I decided to install Norton 360 (something that would take over the firewall & also something I haven't had any issues with using. Once I pretty much installed that, the difference was like night & day.

I was able to configure the system with 10 tuners & was able to schedule about 95% of the shows within 20 seconds, the remaining 5% took anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. I'm convinced the delay is due to the number of series & how often I have them scheduled to record. As far as the 1 time recording or live recordings go, so far they have started within 5 seconds after pressing the record button.