XBOX One will not be Media Center extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Socketman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Socketman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:45 am

MS should sell WMC as an addon like they did with windows 8. Win Win for everyone, I would be willing to pay for the functionality. If only there was a way to appeal to MS to go this way, I don't think they realize how many people actually use the software.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Socketman wrote:MS should sell WMC as an addon like they did with windows 8. Win Win for everyone, I would be willing to pay for the functionality. If only there was a way to appeal to MS to go this way, I don't think they realize how many people actually use the software.
I agree. I'm heavily leaning towards returning my X1 to amazon for a refund. It's a big POS IMO. No CEC, no true DLNA, no WMC capabilities. IR blasters are a mess.

jeonunh

Post by jeonunh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Diverge wrote:
Socketman wrote:MS should sell WMC as an addon like they did with windows 8. Win Win for everyone, I would be willing to pay for the functionality. If only there was a way to appeal to MS to go this way, I don't think they realize how many people actually use the software.
I agree. I'm heavily leaning towards returning my X1 to amazon for a refund. It's a big POS IMO. No CEC, no true DLNA, no WMC capabilities. IR blasters are a mess.

It would depend on how they implement it. It would have to be a seamless integration into the XB1 GUI for me to be interested. The whole appeal is not jumping in and out of different interfaces. I'm running my HTPC through the XB1 and it's better than I thought it would be, but I have no long term interest in it. It's just one more thing in the room sucking power for no reason. I also find the Kinect to be virtually useless in controlling the tv. I don't stutter or have a speech impediment, but I need to repeat myself multiple times to get it to do anything, and even when it does respond it's not always correct.

oldpueblo

Post by oldpueblo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:19 pm

jeonunh wrote:
Diverge wrote:

It would depend on how they implement it. It would have to be a seamless integration into the XB1 GUI for me to be interested. The whole appeal is not jumping in and out of different interfaces. I'm running my HTPC through the XB1 and it's better than I thought it would be, but I have no long term interest in it. It's just one more thing in the room sucking power for no reason. I also find the Kinect to be virtually useless in controlling the tv. I don't stutter or have a speech impediment, but I need to repeat myself multiple times to get it to do anything, and even when it does respond it's not always correct.
Make sure it's at least 3 feet away from any speakers if I recall the directions correctly, THEN calibrate it and make sure you turn your volume up loud when it says to. People seem to miss that part from what I've seen. Now try to speak as clearly as possible, but don't yell the commands. There should be a tiny slight pause after you say Xbox, and I've noticed that most of the time it's wrong for me it's because I'm using the wrong command at the wrong time. The green text on the screen gives you an idea of what commands it's generally listening for. They definitely have some improving to do but mines been pretty good so far with the above tips.

oldpueblo

Post by oldpueblo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Oh also I recall seeing this somewhere but it may have been speculative or an assumption, or possibly really legit. The kinect knows when you're looking at it or away from it, and it was something like it may only accept commands when you're looking at it in order to not mistake idle conversation for voice commands. As I said, I could be remembering that wrong or the source may have been speculative, I don't recall.

oldpueblo

Post by oldpueblo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Found it, around the 10 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bydLSVVuaRM#t=621

VistaVick

Post by VistaVick » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:26 am

That's not true, I am not even in the range of the camera to auto log in my xbox live profile, and I can still use voice commands.

oldpueblo

Post by oldpueblo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:39 pm

VistaVick wrote:That's not true, I am not even in the range of the camera to auto log in my xbox live profile, and I can still use voice commands.
Maybe one of two things happened. They cancelled that feature, or if you're off-screen it just takes the command, but while on-screen it filters it.

scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:13 am

An update. I have my xbox one turning on and off my runco projector, my pioneer amp and my xbox 360 as media extender. The Xbox is at the front of the room and all other equipment is in a closet. I have an IR extender sensor at front of room. I have xbox one ands kinect at front of room with 2x4Oft HDMI cables that go back to closet along with IR extender. The blaster on the kinect works just fine in this setup, nothing special the kinect blasts into room, this bounces of walls and furniture and is picked up by the IR extender that is placed under the kinect location! I can change channels pause etc. the only thing I need to do next is to use a script to get the extender to go straight to live TV. What about recorded TV? Well I use a dell venue 8 pro tablet and my media center app from ceton, far more convenient than UI.

neo17

Post by neo17 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:10 am

I have a similar setup and all is working well except that one out of 3-4 times the Xbox One will not turn off the Xbox 360 correctly. I use an IR blaster straight from the Xbox One that reaches the IR sensor of my Xbox 360 in a cabinet. I'm aware the Xbox 360 IR sensor sucks but all the other IR commands are working properly. Not having the Xbox 360 turned off consistently is worrisome given the amount of heat it is generating and it does not automatically shut off after 1 hour of inactivity since my Windows Media Center PC is streaming Live TV whenever the Xbox 360 is on.