Win 8, WMC 8, won't wake up to record TV

GoggyB

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by GoggyB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:26 am

:wtf: this has gone a bit off topic. I'm also having issues with my Win 8 MCE waking from sleep to record. I've disabled the Lock screen via GPEdit.msc as I thought that might have been causing an issue. But still no luck. I remember having similar issues back with MCE 2005 but can't remember what the cause was.

@indyed - have you had any luck?

@gabrielcab - you had this issue and it was your nic driver that was causing the issue, I'll give that one a go. I did notice that Win 8 had installed the latest display driver for my Nvidia card and that caused some MCE display issues after waking from sleep ... rolling that driver back to a previous version seemed to solve that issue. I'll post back my results

Cheers

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:50 am

I just can't resist this...

I pay $0.11 per KWH, including taxes and such. My rates are among the lowest in the US. My HTPC consumes 165W at idle. If I allow it to run 24 hours/day, it would cost me $13.07 per 30 days, not including the times when the PC is running above idle and consuming somewhere in the neighborhood of 190W.

I have five PC's in the house. Imagine if all of them were on 24x7.

My AVR only consumes 3 watts in standby, my HTPC consumes 4-5 watts in standby, and my TV's are around 1 watt each (five of them).

Recently, I was shocked to learn that the equipment in my wiring closet (two 8-port switches, a router, a cable modem, two HD HomeRun Prime's, two tuning adapters, a security camera DVR, and a UPS) consume 75 watts, 24x7x365. That's $5.94 per 30 days right there.

The moral of my story... putting your PC in standby is worthwhile.

GoggyB

Post by GoggyB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:59 am

I like your justification on that .... Does your Win 8 Media Center wake from sleep? ;)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:30 pm

GoggyB wrote:I like your justification on that .... Does your Win 8 Media Center wake from sleep? ;)
I'm not running W8. My point was just that it's worth the time to make it sleep/wake. I have no idea why W8 standby would behave differently than W7.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:45 pm

In Win 7, media center automatically creates scheduled tasks to wake for recordings. Do you see anything similar in the Win 8 task scheduler? Maybe MS dropped the ball and broke that functionality in Win 8. The best option right now is to complain to MS and hope it gets fixed.

GoggyB

Post by GoggyB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Yes I've just checked the task scheduler and there is a "start recording" task and it's set to wake computer to run the task. I'm setting some of the optimisation settings suggested on Techradar so hoping that will fix this issue along the way :geek:

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/softwa ... ts-1028220

indyed

Post by indyed » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 pm

GoggyB wrote::wtf: this has gone a bit off topic. I'm also having issues with my Win 8 MCE waking from sleep to record. I've disabled the Lock screen via GPEdit.msc as I thought that might have been causing an issue. But still no luck. I remember having similar issues back with MCE 2005 but can't remember what the cause was.

@indyed - have you had any luck?

Cheers
Unfortunately, I have not been successful at resolving this. I have tried to update my lan driver and disable the lock screen, but that did not solve the problem. I am going to disable, then re-enable WMC and see if that helps. If not I may revert back to WIN 7, although that is a complete reload of the operating system. :(

joshnovak

Post by joshnovak » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:43 am

First time posting... but I read this and felt like I had to reply.

Recently upgraded my Win7 media center box (which was working great) to Win8 (all because of the stupid free key from MS). Anyway... my last problem was exactly the same... it would not wake from S3 sleep... no matter what I tried. In general, NO scheduled task would wake the system from S3 (including the ehome tasks to record).

After MULTIPLE reloads, many different BIOS flashes, etc... I think I may have discovered my problem. Believe it or not, I've found that if I CLOSE the media center GUI, then the system WILL wake from S3 correctly. Of course, since this is my HTPC, I never really thought about that. But it seems that once I close the GUI, the system will wake to just about any scheduled task.

Of course, this is annoying, but if I want to wake to record, I just need to remember to close the GUI before I turn off the TV. Right now, at least I can work-around the problem until I figure out something better!

Again, first time posting, but after wasting ALL weekend, I wanted to share.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:04 pm

joshnovak wrote:First time posting... but I read this and felt like I had to reply.

Recently upgraded my Win7 media center box (which was working great) to Win8 (all because of the stupid free key from MS). Anyway... my last problem was exactly the same... it would not wake from S3 sleep... no matter what I tried. In general, NO scheduled task would wake the system from S3 (including the ehome tasks to record).

After MULTIPLE reloads, many different BIOS flashes, etc... I think I may have discovered my problem. Believe it or not, I've found that if I CLOSE the media center GUI, then the system WILL wake from S3 correctly. Of course, since this is my HTPC, I never really thought about that. But it seems that once I close the GUI, the system will wake to just about any scheduled task.

Of course, this is annoying, but if I want to wake to record, I just need to remember to close the GUI before I turn off the TV. Right now, at least I can work-around the problem until I figure out something better!

I don't know if MCE Standby Tool (MST) will work in Windows 8, but if it does... you could use MST to automatically close Media Center when the PC goes to sleep.

joshnovak

Post by joshnovak » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:23 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
joshnovak wrote:First time posting... but I read this and felt like I had to reply.

I don't know if MCE Standby Tool (MST) will work in Windows 8, but if it does... you could use MST to automatically close Media Center when the PC goes to sleep.
Sorry it has taken me a while to reply (it's difficult to find time to take my HTPC out of service to test). Anyway, thanks for the tip about MST... I found a few people saying it does work on Windows 8 64bit. I installed it and so far, it seems to have fixed my problem!! One minor annoyance is that I have to disable UAC protection because I keep getting prompted if I am sure I want to run this app every time the Media Center GUI runs. But like I said, other than that... it seems to be working fine. Thanks again for the tip!!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:28 pm

joshnovak wrote:Sorry it has taken me a while to reply (it's difficult to find time to take my HTPC out of service to test). Anyway, thanks for the tip about MST... I found a few people saying it does work on Windows 8 64bit. I installed it and so far, it seems to have fixed my problem!! One minor annoyance is that I have to disable UAC protection because I keep getting prompted if I am sure I want to run this app every time the Media Center GUI runs. But like I said, other than that... it seems to be working fine. Thanks again for the tip!!
You don't need to turn off UAC. In Win7, you can right-click on the executable (C:\Program Files (x86)\MCE Standby Tool\MST.exe), go to Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, and grant the program administrative rights (by checking "Run this program as administrator") and UAC won't prompt you anymore for that individual program. I would imagine that Win8 has a similar setting.

TodesAngst

Post by TodesAngst » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 am

I had this problem recently and for me the fix was to enable HPET in the bios of my motherboard under power management. Then the PC would wake to record TV when required. Without HTEP support enabled the tasks scheduled by WMC 8.1 to record TV programs would be created in the task scheduler but would not wake the system.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:22 pm

richard1980 wrote:Why is electricity so expensive in the UK?
$0.17/kWh is close to what I pay now in long island, NY. Its more in the summer, less in the winter. In Queens, NY it was effectively over $1/kWh. My bills are ~3x lower now in a 2500 sq ft house than they were in a 900 sq ft apartment.

fventura03

Post by fventura03 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:29 pm

i have a 30tb server that runs 24/7. with 12 drives it only uses 130watts according to my killawatt. i have an htpc in my room that runs 24/7 also and that uses about 40 watts with three hard drives.