WMC 8.1 And The HDCP Problem

Kylearan

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 8.1 And The HDCP Problem

Post by Kylearan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:33 am

I just recently installed a CableCARD device, the Homerun Prime from Silicondust. After many tries I finally got it to work with WMC, well almost.
I don't think this problem is specific to Silicondust devices. The problem crops up when I use my KVM switch. All of a sudden when I switch away from the computer running WMC, the TV screen is replaced by an "HDCP required" message. It quickly goes off when I switch back to the computer. One solution is to get a little cheap HDCP compliant monitor and run dual displays so it will always have an HDCP signal coming form the monitor. I'm hoping there is another solution though.

This is yet another reason to hate HDCP.

Kylearan

DanH

Post by DanH » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:37 pm

You probably need an HDCP compliant KVM switch.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:17 am

Probably easier to find an HDCP capable splitter and put that between the media center PC and the KVM switch. I got one for going to the TV and monitor at the same time for Karaoke from monoprice.com for $15. The PC will see the splitter as the device it is connected to, not the monitor.

The dual monitor idea will not work. If it does continue playing when you flip the KVM switch with a 2nd monitor connected, it will be because the WMC window gets relocated to the other monitor.